Movies and TV

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Movies and TV

Post by ElaineB on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:55 am

Thought we could use a place to talk about movies (or TV shows) we've seen.

We watched Skyfall last night. I haven't seen a James Bond movie since Her Majesty's Secret Service (on TV and because Diana Rigg was in it). We rented this because Adele wrote and performed the Oscar-winning theme.

Seeing the movie does help to understand the lyrics.

I thought the movie was disappointing (except for Judi Dench). Rate PG13, it's clearly aimed at young teen boys. The plot was mundane. And I was pretty shocked at what happened, but won't spoil it (so don't open below if you have any intention of seeing the film).

Spoiler:
His whole point of taking M to Skyfall was to protect her. He failed. The great James Bond failed in his mission. WTF?
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Re: Movies and TV

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:23 am

Didn't the movie or actors or somebody win Oscars for the movie? Adele won for best...song (I think).
BassGuitarGirl
Getting the Hang of Things

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:32 am

"The Godfather"
Wifey and I went to some friends' home last night for mafia night. We had an incredible Italian meal, we watched "The Godfather", and then we had Italian Ice for dessert! Yeah, it doesn't get more Italian than that! I had never seen "The Godfather" before. Now I know why. I'm not a big fan of violence in movies. That horse scene still makes me queasy.

As far as story-telling, it was quite choppy. My friends were good sports, too, when I analyzed the parts of the storytelling process. I said things like, "And that's the end of Act 1. The purpose of Act 1 is blah blah" and "the reason for that bit of dialogue was so that we would know blah, blah..."

Do you guys do stuff like that when you watch movies, or am I the only nerd that does that?
BassGuitarGirl

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:57 pm

Nope. You are the only one. ;) I'm more likely to say, "that's not believable." Or ewww, if it's a het sex scene. ;)

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:05 pm

I like the song skyfall. It has been a while though since I watched the last James Bond movie.

BassGuitarGirl wrote:"I had never seen "The Godfather" before. Now I know why. I'm not a big fan of violence in movies. That horse scene still makes me queasy.

Neither have I. But when I just saw your horse scene remark I think I skip it.
I actually like a good horror movie but I don't like scenes where you can see a lot of torture. One of the best horror movies (in my opinion) is Ringu. You don't see one drop of blood there but the tension is hardly bearable.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Athena wrote: One of the best horror movies (in my opinion) is Ringu. You don't see one drop of blood there but the tension is hardly bearable.

Athena likes watching these Japanese and Chinese horror movies. And they are spooky as hell. I lovee a good horror but only when we watch it together. I don't know why is it that way, but I love horror movies even though they spook the hell out of me so much that I am afraid to go to toily.

Does any of you remember Cynthia Rothrock movies? I loved her fighting scenes. I was just a kid when she started acting and I always loved how she fights. I broke 3 chandeliers trying to pull off her over the head back hit. Not even when I got my black belt was I able to do it.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:49 pm

You're mother must have been ready to kill you.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Let's just say I am still grounded. And the last incident happened 20 years ago.
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer on Sat May 25, 2013 11:52 pm

This may also belong in the geek section..but is anyone into the TV show "Lost Girl"?

Daydreamer
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun May 26, 2013 7:25 am

I don't think I've heard of it??? But then my wife tells me I'm old as dirt. LOL

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sun May 26, 2013 7:56 am

I heard about it but they don't show it on German tv. Mad
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sun May 26, 2013 8:34 am

I've heard of it but not seen it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer on Sun May 26, 2013 3:59 pm

http://www.showcase.ca/lostgirl

The show grows on you. Tight budget, but good acting with characters you learn to love. The fantasy crime drama is about Bo and her friends. She's an "unaligned" Succubus in a world where Light Fae and Dark Fae live without human knowledge, save a select few such as some of Bo's close friends. Bo is Bisexual and before too long in the series a love triangle between two of her close associates is formed. The show has finished it's 3rd season recently. I've only watched episode 1 of season 3 so I'm behind. The show has emerged as one of my favorite shows, and it's ratings indicate I'm not alone in this opinion. it's not for everyone. You have to be a scifi/fantasy fan, and you have to be able to look past it's somewhat low budget. (for instance I have trouble watching scifi networks original shows because of the crap effects and bad acting) but this show does have the right actors to make it stand out IMO. So there's the sales pitch, lol.

Daydreamer
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Mon May 27, 2013 8:15 am

Ah crap, can't watch it here. "Geographic Restriction."

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Mon May 27, 2013 10:44 am

Cannes Film Festival: Lesbian drama wins Palme d'Or

Director Abdellatif Kechiche accepted the award with actresses Lea Seydoux (left) and Adele Exarchopoulos

Blue is the Warmest Colour, an intimate love story about two young French women, has won the Palme d'Or for best film at the Cannes Film Festival.

It has attracted attention for its explicit sex scenes as well as the acclaimed performances of actresses Adele Exarchopoulos and Lea Seydoux.

Hollywood veteran Bruce Dern won best actor for his performance in Nebraska.

And French star Berenice Bejo, known for silent film The Artist, won best actress for her role in The Past.

The winners were picked from the 20 films in competition and were named at the festival's closing ceremony on Sunday.

Blue is the Warmest Colour is a three-hour coming-of-age movie in which Exarchopoulos plays a 15-year-old who falls in love with an older woman, played by Seydoux.

Whole story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22676798

Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer on Mon May 27, 2013 12:58 pm

Oh I've heard of this movie but not seen it yet. Way Cool!

Daydreamer
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Mon May 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Yeah, looking forward to this one!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Wed May 29, 2013 11:33 am

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!! I cant believe I missed it. It's from 2011 and it came out in September 2012 in Germany.

The first time two Oscar-winners have portrayed same-sex lovers on screen!

This hilarious foul-mouthed, lesbian road movie co-stars Oscar®-winning actresses Brenda Fricker and Olympia Dukakis as Dot and Stella, a crackerjack lesbian couple on the run from a nursing home. You’ll laugh so hard you’ll cry.

Stella and Dot have been together for 31 years and have faithfully accompanied one another through life’s ups and downs. Now in their seventies, Stella is hard of hearing and Dot is legally blind.

Dotty’s prudish granddaughter, Molly (played by Genie Award-winner Kristin Booth), decides the best place for Dot is a nursing home that will provide all the necessities. This forces Stella and Dot to make a bold decision: they will leave their hometown and make their way to Canada, where same-sex marriage is legal. It’s a last-gap bid to stay together.

En route to Canada, they pick up a young hitchhiker, Prentice, played by newcomer Ryan Doucette. A small-town boy turned modern dancer, he is returning to Nova Scotia to visit his dying mother. Despite his bravado, Prentice is a confused and wounded soul who has much to learn from Stella and Dot as they wage their own unexpected battle – after three decades, can they keep their family together?
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Wed May 29, 2013 5:17 pm

I've put it in my Netflix queue. Also can't wait!

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Wed May 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Ugh I tried to order that movie but it appeared nowhere. Not even on german Amazon. Mad

I must say I am quite disappointed. This movie got prices from Athens Greece OutView Film Festival, Philadelphia QFest, Rainbow Reels Waterloo Film Festival, Kingston Queer Film Festival and a lot more.

If it weren't to Lily I probably would have never found out about it.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Wed May 29, 2013 10:05 pm

Someone on Facebook said it will be available in July. Hang in there!

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer on Fri May 31, 2013 3:17 pm

It's hard to believe how long it takes for a movie or TV show to be fully realized. It seems every aspect from adaption from a book, from purchasing rights, from distribution, etc. takes years.

I was reading an article about the HBO series Game of Thrones the other day. it's based on the book series "Song of Fire and Ice." The author has been writing these books since 1991. The first one was published in 1996, and he's still working on the 6th of a planned 7 novels. HBO bought the rights to the series in 2007, and the series did not premier until 2011. The expectation is that the TV series will eventually overtake the books in the timeline. Forcing the TV series to possibly deviate a lot from what the author eventually writes. In fact the author has given the producers a general idea of the 'endgame" he has in mind for the main characters and overall series just in case he dies before he can finish the books, lol....

soooo....long story short, I am not at all surprised that a movie that was originally released in 2011 is still not available in all markets some 2 years later.

Daydreamer
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:23 am

Oh yeah, and especially for an independent film, getting a distributor can be a nightmare. Never mind raising the money to make the film in the first place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:38 am

I have a client who wrote over 10 books. Romantic comedies. And then two years ago she sold one to Hollywood. I mean that is a big deal, right? Making a movie in Hollywood based on your book. And well, she is my client and that makes it special for me. Anyway, they bought her book two years ago, and the movie probably will not be out for next 2. So yeah, It is a long process. (I am restless, I know, cause I can't wait for the movie to be out and for me to casually say, Ohh, yeah, I know this movie, it's based on the book I did cover for. Cool (I don't sound too full of myself, right? pardon ))
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:24 pm

This reminds me of the same article I read about the game of thrones author. Apparently one of the delays between when he began to write the first novel in the series (1991) and when it was actually released, (1996) was that Hollywood accepted another script idea he had for a TV series. So he took a (get this) 3 year hiatus from writing the Game of Thrones novel to work on that project. A project that was later scrapped and never released! he then went back to work on his novel. I'm not sure what that would do to my mindset to pour 3 years into something and have it shelved like that. I assume he got paid but holy crap!

Daydreamer
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top