Headlines in the News

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Headlines in the News

Post by Lilien on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:10 pm

A place where we can share, discuss or only read the headline stories from what ever newspapers we read around the world. Stories of the day, stories that catch our attention and stories that are important enough to end up on the Front page of the newspapers.

Here is the story that lately often spins around newspapers.

Peng Liyuan, China's glamorous new First Lady

Peng Liyuan, wife of China's new president Xi Jinping, made her debut as China's First Lady this week accompanying Xi in his first overseas trip as China's new state president.
Wearing a belted overcoat, accented by a stand-up collar and a light-blue scarf, she stood next to Xi when they arrived in Moscow, the first stop of Xi's three-nation trip.
Smiling radiantly, she shook hands with the Russian hosts, a step or two behind her husband.
"We've always looked forward to having an elegant First Lady that's presentable to the outside world," a Chinese official told me. "Now we have one."

Many Chinese are similarly enthused.: "The U.S. has Michelle (Obama), we have Peng Liyuan," wrote micro-blogger @mlxftmilixiaofantuan.

You can read rest of the story on CNN http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/23/world/asia/china-peng-liyuan-profile/index.html?hpt=wo_mid

Also from wikipedia:

Peng Liyuan (simplified Chinese: 彭丽媛; traditional Chinese: 彭麗媛; pinyin: Péng Lìyuán; born November 20, 1962) a renowned Chinese contemporary folk singer and performing artist. She is the wife of Chinese President Xi Jinping, and as fsuch referred to as the "Chinese First Lady" by American and Chinese media. Peng is the Dean of the Art Academy of the People's Liberation Army. Peng is a civilian member of China's People's Liberation Army and holds the civilian rank equivalent to major general.[2] She was the first in China to obtain a master's degree in traditional ethnic music when the degree was established in the 1980s.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Re: Headlines in the News

Post by ElaineB on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:44 am

It's newsworthy to mention what she's wearing but not what he's wearing. :roll:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:48 am

Yeah, I found it a bit ridiculous that her clothes was brought into highlight so much, but I think the way she is dressing and the way she is exposing herself is the story. I don't think until now China had a First Lady who is so exposed to media like this Lady is. I don't know much about the Chinese politics or President and first Lady, but story about her was running on CNN and BBC for weeks now, so it seams that she is a big deal in their country. Including her dressing style.
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:57 am

Yeah, she's a celebrity in her own right, so it is new for them. Michelle Obama has raised the bar!

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:21 am

Lilien wrote: "We've always looked forward to having an elegant First Lady that's presentable to the outside world," a Chinese official told me. "Now we have one."
Finally! Someone that's presentable. Now, um..., what exactly do they mean by that? This bit's a little sexist, eh?
BassGuitarGirl
Getting the Hang of Things

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 am

Margaret Thatcher, Britain's first female PM, dead at 87

IRON LADY 1925-2013

In office
4 May 1979 – 28 November 1990

London (CNN) -- Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, a towering figure in post-war British and world politics, and the first woman to become British prime minister, has died at the age of 87, her spokeswoman said Monday.

Thatcher served from 1979 to 1990 as leader of the Conservative Party. She was called the "Iron Lady" for her personal and political toughness.

Thatcher retired from public life after a stroke in 2002 and suffered several strokes after that.

She made few public appearances in her final months, missing a reception marking her 85th birthday hosted by Prime Minister David Cameron in October 2010. She also skipped the July 2011 unveiling of a statue honoring her old friend Ronald Reagan in London.

In December 2012, she was hospitalized after a procedure to remove a growth in her bladder.

Thatcher made history

Thatcher won the nation's top job only six years after declaring in a television interview, "I don't think there will be a woman prime minister in my lifetime."

During her time at the helm of the British government, she emphasized moral absolutism, nationalism, and the rights of the individual versus that of the state -- famously declaring, "There is no such thing as society" in 1987.

Nicknamed the "Iron Lady" by the Soviet press after a 1976 speech declaring that "the Russians are bent on world dominance," Thatcher later enjoyed a close working relationship with U.S. President Reagan, with whom she shared similar conservative views.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/08/world/europe/uk-margaret-thatcher-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:49 am

She was a terrific role model for women, I had a lot of respect for her.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:26 am

Aww. Sad to hear that. We had a lot of respect for her here in the US. Especially from women.
BassGuitarGirl

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Rest In Peace.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:06 pm

She was equally hated and loved by many but I don't think there was anyone who didn't respected her, and I think that is the best honor a person can get.

I thin she was a great person, one of those who writes history.
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:25 am

Today is a very sad day for Serbia. There's gonna be a Three-day mourning over the loss of 13 people killed by a man who shot them all in the head.

The incident happened in the village Velika Ivanca in South Serbia yesterday morning. Ljubisa Bogdanovic age 60 killed 6 men, 6 women and a two year old child. He killed his own mother and his son. Then he tried to kill his wife and himself with the shot in to head.

His wife is now out of danger in Emergency Center, she is conscious and able to speak. Ljubisa Bogdanovic is in come and in critical state.

Ljubisa Bogdanovic (60) killed this morning thirteen neighbors of Velika Ivanca near Mladenovac. He killed six men, six women and a two-year old boy. They all were shot in the head.As our correspondent reports from the crime scene, Bogdanovic first killed his son. He then headed towards houses of his neighbors.

‘Ljubisa first killed at his home his son Branko and mother. Then he went to another four homes of his neighbors. At the house of the Stekic family he killed a mother and a daughter, Danica and Dragana. At the house of the Despotovic family he killed Mikailo, Milena, their grandson Goran his 19-year old wife Jovana and their 2-year old son. In the house of the Mijailovic family he killed a husband and a wife, Velja and Olga. At the end he went to the home of the Jesic family and killed there a mother and a son Ljubina and Milos’, neighbors told Blic correspondent.

As Blic further learns the massacre was reported by Bogdanovic’s wife Javorka. While she was on the phone talking to the police, he shot her in the neck. The police of Mladenovac was immediately on the road to the crime scene and found Ljubisa Bogdanovic in his yard. He shot himself in front of the police.
Wife stable
As Blic learns at the Emergency Center, the condition of Javorka Bogdanovic is now stable. She is conscious, communicates with doctors and can move legs and hands. Ljubisa Bogdanovic is in coma and his condition is critical.

My sincere condolences to all the victims families. I can not even begin to understand what kind of pain they are going trough now.

There is so many horror in this world, so many craziness, so many darkness which is so scary. I don't think we can wake up without fear of what the day will bring.

I can not understand how does a bastard who can kill 13 people, 13 innocent people, a 2 year old angel, little innocent baby, who just took her first steps in this word, can kill them all and fail to blow his own head. How can someone do such a crime and fail to bury himself into the dust and darkness.

I do not wish this man recovery. I do not wish him anything but darkness and sorrow. If he survives, which is highly unlikeable, but if he does, I wish him eternity in living hell. If he wanted to put himself into ground, why did he had to pull so many people with him?

Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 am

In cases like this, I have to believe there is mental illness involved--as with our own tragedy, the massacre of 20 first graders and six school teachers and administrators (plus the gunman's mother and himself) in Connecticut last December. Mental illness + guns = tragedy. No way around it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:14 pm

I was thinking about that tragedy also, actually about all of these tragedies that are lately appearing in news.

I do not question that these people are mentally ill. But, it triggers my mind how can someone be mostly normal person trough life and then all of the sudden something brakes in your head. What kind of thing can triggers you to completely get away from path of sanity and do something like this.

Yeah sometimes these things are done by sociopaths and people who had mental illness before. But for example this man and a lot of other who had committed these kind of crimes are described as a peaceful, family people. Usually described by neighbors as good working people. It makes me wonder could we all flip one day and go around shoot people?
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm so sorry to all the people that deal with the results of these mentally ill individuals. Along these lines, one person stabbed 13 in Texas. Every day we hear of these incidents and I wonder why? How does one decide that they are going to kill others for no good reason. Condolences to all that have suffered at the hands of violence.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Yeah it was today on CNN about that and apparently he gave a statement how he was fantasizing about this attack.

Really ill people, to whom I wish nothing but sorrow and prison.
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by Proofrdr on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:20 pm

The only saving grace about that Texas guy with the X-Acto knife is that it wasn't a gun with a 30-round clip.
Proofrdr
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top