DeJay/Deej Reads A Book

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DeJay/Deej Reads A Book

Post by Admin on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:11 pm

I'll list books here that I've read. I'll come up with a rating system shortly. Very Happy Meanwhile here's the mandatory disclaimer.

The disclaimer: In compliance with FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION 16 CFR Part 255 (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm), I hereby declare that all books read and reviewed by me on this site have been purchased by me (or my wife), borrowed from the library, or received as a gift from someone other than the author, publisher, or editor; that I have not been requested to write a review by the author, publisher, or editor; and that I have received no compensation in any form for posting these reviews.

I so totally stole this from ElaineB. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Deej Garden
Site Admin for The Lesbian Playground
Admin
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

http://thelesbianplayground.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: DeJay/Deej Reads A Book

Post by Admin on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:28 am

The Raid by Lee Lynch

Blurb: Before Stonewall, having a drink with friends or your girl could mean jail.

In 1961, The Old Town Tavern is more than just a gay bar. It’s a home to strangers who have become family. Murph, the dapper unschooled storyteller. Rockie Solomon, the gentle, generous observer. Lisa Jelane, in all her lonely dignity. Gorgeous Paul, so fragile, and his twin (straight?) sister Cissy. Deej, the angry innocent. Norman, plump and queenly lover of a college professor who’s happiest in schoolmarm drag. Harry Van Epps, police officer, and old Dr. Everett, “family” physician. They drink, they dance, they fall in lust and in love. They don’t even know who the enemy is, only that it is powerful enough to order the all-too-willing vice squad to destroy the bar and their lives.

Would these women and men still have family, a job, a place to live after…The Raid?

This was how it was done then, this was the gay life, and this is the resilient gay will.

Full disclosure here, Lee Lynch based one of her character's on me, used my name and most of my flaws. Needless to say, I'm a little bit bias.

This story gives a small glimpse into the gay life back in the sixties, in the USA. I have no idea how it was in other countries, but this is what you would have experienced here. More importantly for me, it clearly depicts the unfair treatment, beatings, etc of gay men and women. The political corruption that fueled this horrific treatment of people who had no rights.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I also lived it. I recommend it to anyone wondering just how far we've come in a mere fifty years.

Deej Garden
Site Admin for The Lesbian Playground
Admin
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

http://thelesbianplayground.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:36 pm

How did that happen--that she based a character on you? That's so cool. (Except, I suppose, for the flaws!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:20 am

I won a charity bid at GCLS two years ago. It was worth it.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Admin wrote:Lee Lynch based one of her character's on me, used my name and most of my flaws.
Cool. If that is not a reason to read it. :lol!:
Athena
Getting the Hang of Things

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Ohh, it surelly is. Now I am really interested. Smile
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Almost Heaven by Susan X. Meagher

BLURB: Cody Keaton truly believes that money doesn't buy happiness. She believes this so strongly that when she hits big in the lottery she considers throwing the ticket away. Once she talks herself off that ledge she vows to use the money only for security, a decision that she honestly believes she can follow. She’s not going to be one of those people who blows it on houses and cars and loses it all.

Her aunts, uncles, cousins and extended family don't share her view—but most of them itch to share her money.

The local bank manager, Maddie Osborne, quickly sees that Cody's going to be in a world of trouble if she doesn't make some tough financial decisions. Given that Cody's never been inside a bank, her learning curve is steep. Maddie finds herself drawn to protecting the unsophisticated woman from the people who are trying to separate Cody from her fortune—even her nearest and dearest.

This was a really interesting story concept. Cody Keaton is a backwoods, mostly unworldly woman, who suddenly finds herself a multimillionaire. All her life, she's been poor, struggling to pay for necessities or doing without, then good fortune knocks on her door and she has more money than she knows what to do with. Enter the new bank manager who Cody takes into her confidence. The story is woven with many characters, most of whom are family with their hand out looking for their share. Cody's not a cheap skate, but she also realizes her family, or at least some of them will squander the money and then want more. If you know Susan Meagher's works you know it's a romance and it doesn't fail, but the back-story is for this reader the really intriguing part. I liked it a lot.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:34 pm

sounds interesting. Smile
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Yeah, very.

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Deej wrote:I won a charity bid at GCLS two years ago. It was worth it.
OMG. That is so cool! Congrats, dejay!
BassGuitarGirl

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:30 pm

It was worth every penny to be in a Lee Lynch book.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:27 am

Hidden Truths by Jae

BLURB - Lesbian Fiction: Historical Fiction - Sequel to Backwards to Oregon - "Luke" Hamilton has been living as a husband and father for the past seventeen years. No one but her wife, Nora, knows she is not the man she appears to be. They have raised their daughters to become honest and hard-working young women. But even with their loving foundation, a few fears and insecurities have Amy and Nattie hiding their own secrets. Just as Luke sets out on a dangerous trip to Fort Boise, a newcomer arrives on the ranch - Rika Aaldenberg, who traveled to Oregon as a mail-order bride, hiding that she's not the woman in her letters. When hidden truths are revealed, will their lives and their family fall apart or will love keep them together?

I love a good western. lol Well I enjoy any story that includes the horses, the west, etc and it's usually made better by having a lesbian within the pages. I enjoyed the original book, Backwards to Oregon and have read it numerous times. The sequel brings back all the characters years later, and the author weaves an interesting if somewhat unbelievable story. Six lesbians in one very small town was a jump for me, but who knows. I enjoyed Hidden Truths, but not as much as BTO. If you like westerns and sequels, you might enjoy this.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:12 pm

I've been very remiss, I'm going to try to catch up now.

BLURB - Erica Ryan is flying home from London after a disastrous business trip. Free spirit Abby Hayes is flying into New York City to visit her mother before jetting off again. Both end up in Gander, Canada, when their flight is diverted because of 9/11. For ninety-six hours they share a rollercoaster of emotions and find themselves drawn to one another. Will their nascent connection survive everyday life when they return home?

This book was very difficult for me to read, not because of the writing or the plot, but because re-living those days surrounding 9/11 brought back so many memories and what I didn't remember, Georgia Beers inserted in the book so no one will ever forget. To say this was an emotional book does not begin to express how I felt while reading it. Though there's a love story here, and a slew of memorable fully developed characters, I was never far enough removed to truly enjoy this wonderful book. I'll try it again in a couple years when hopefully the wound will not be quite as raw.

Georgia Beers weaves a wonderful and heartfelt story around the worst terrorist attack on US soil, and she did it splendidly. I highly recommend it but be ready to cry.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:19 pm

In the sequel to The Choice, Clinical Distance begins six years later with Mina Thomas, who has finished medical school. After divorcing her husband, Sean, and losing Regan Martin, the love of her life, Mina sets out on a quest to make her way in the world and to find the love she lost. Mina dates-a lot-but after many meaningless rendezvous with nameless women, Mina decides to give up on finding love and devotes her time solely to her career as chief resident at City Hospital.

However, one night after having dinner with her best friend and confidant, police Sergeant Rosemary Rosetti, Mina discovers that the love she was searching for might possibly have been right under her nose all along. That's when Regan steps back into Mina's life.

Will Mina sacrifice her heart for another chance at love, or will she keep a clinical distance?

First let me say I did not know this was a sequel to another book and I didn't need to read the first book to be able to catch up.  I had trouble with the main character, I never learned to like her.  She's a kind, giving woman, but for me as a reader I never developed an attachment.  The book tells of her past love and a woman who she's quite attacked to in current times. She makes bad decisions and never really needs to own them. I probably won't re-read this in the future.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Dr. Hollis Monroe specializes in short-terms relationships, typically eight months or less. As an obstetrician dealing with high-risk pregnancies, she spends all her time and energy in caring for women at a nice, comfortable professional distance until she delivers their babies and can walk away. They're happy, she's satisfied, and no one gets hurt. The perfect relationship.

Pregnant mother-to-be Annie Colfax is alone and barely making ends meet—she didn't plan on starting a family by herself, but she's determined to succeed. All she had to do is survive.

Neither woman wants a relationship, but fate brings them together at a crossroads that will change their lives forever.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, though it was too short. Radclyffe did a great job of telling this story and blending in the characters from one of my favs of hers, "Fated Love". It was great catching up with the other characters and learning about these new ones. This is one of her best in a long while.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:27 pm

While doing research for her third book about Hollywood, Paige Cornish meets Avalon Randolph, a sexy and wild actress who takes her on a rollercoaster ride right down the red carpet. Writing about Hollywood is one thing, but living it is quite another. Personalities clash and boundaries are crossed as they navigate their attraction for each other through the exhilarating but precarious world of money and fame.

Can Paige and Avalon reconcile their differences and find a happy middle ground in a town that never lives in the middle?

Typical lesfic romance. An interesting concept, and a couple of great scenes, but not one of this authors best. Still it's worth a read.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Sadly there is no blurb available for this book. Just editorial reviews.

This one definitely missed the mark on so many areas. The plot is a stretch at best, the characters are air heads and the ending was rushed. Not recommended.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:33 pm

High school sweethearts…and nobody knew.

Ashleigh Pence had been the all-American high school girl: cheerleader, prom queen…and in love with another girl. Gina Granbury hasn’t thought about Calloway High in twenty years, but the arrival of the invitation to the class reunion brings back memories of Ashleigh and the betrayal that drove them apart.

With no real choice, Ashleigh has to go the event, hoping that it’s not the one reunion that Gina decides to attend after all these years. Gina had expected to dismiss the possibility as easily as she has during all the years since, but the curiosity is suddenly strong. Her long-broken heart has never mended, but that’s no reason to go back in time…is it?

Twenty years seem like yesterday in this latest passionate story from Golden Crown award winner Gerri Hill.

A nice romance well worth reading. The plot has it's moments, and the characters are worth turning every page.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:35 pm

As a behavioral scientist, Professor Nicole Hathaway's work strips away the foolish mystique that surrounds the human mating dance. When her academic tome is treated as a viral "love manual" her ecstatic publisher books her to appear all over the U.S. and Europe. Worse yet, her quiet, managed life has been shattered by a series of incompetent assistants. And she's certain this Lily Smith creature isn't going to be any less a burden than the last assistant they sent her. Or the one before that. Or before that...

Lillian Linden-Smith needs this job. With a relentless TV lawyer and public mob still out for her blood for crimes committed by her "American royalty" parents, getting out of the country is her only hope for anonymity. If that means cleaning up and presenting an antisocial know-it-all Ph.D. for bookstores, clubs and lectures, fine. Dr. Hathaway may have succeeded in driving away all the others, but not this time.

From their first meeting the sparks fly, and each is thinking: She has no idea who she's dealing with.

It's hate at first sight in this love adventure.

Karin Kallmaker, I shouldn't have to say anything else.  These characters are fully developed, the plot is exciting, informative and thoroughly enjoyable.  Well done. Worth your time.

There are a couple of issues with regards to factual statements throughout the book, ie, the French drive on the wrong side of the road, they drive on the same side as the USA, or that Russia is not part of Europe, I believe an editor should have fixed these, but it did not take away from my enjoyment of the book.

Last edited by Deej on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Kennie McClain is a security guard who, unbeknownst to her tenants, owns the Allen Arms where she works. She's still recovering from the loss of her partner three years earlier and has moved from upstate New York to Portland to escape bad memories. In her off hours, she rehabs apartments and nurses a broken heart.

Lily Gordon, a nationally-acclaimed painter, lives in the Allen Arms penthouse. She's beautiful and accomplished - and haunted after her lover ditches her.

Sparks fly in a big way when Kennie and Lily finally connect . . . but then in one shattering moment, Lily betrays her, and Kennie's world comes crashing down, leaving her untrusting and in deep emotional pain. Can Kennie ever rise above these losses and risk her heart again?

This is an interesting plot line and had a number of turns, but it fell short for this reader in many areas. Characters didn't develop, or the author didn't show us the development which could have made this so much richer. There were a number of plot holes that never got answered so it fell short for this reader.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:06 pm

Rhapsody tells the story of Ashley Giraud, award-winning news anchor in Tampa Bay, FL and Julia Whitethorn, owner and stylist at Rhapsody hair salon. Ashley and Julia are brought together by a mutual friend who suggests Ashley visit Rhapsody for her hair appointments after Ashley's regular stylist is no longer available. Soon, Julia and her small group of friends gradually bring Ashley into the fold and out of her self-imposed solitude. But as Ashley and Julia grow closer, will Ashley's well-kept secrets prevent them from finding their "happily ever after"?

KG MacGregor is one of my favorite authors. Normally I know how most of her books will end, but the journey getting there makes it more than worthwhile. I can honestly say the ending on this one surprised me and yet, I appauld Ms. MacGregor for her bravery in offering an alternative to a "happily ever after." A must read.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Good to know it's something different.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top