Willa Cather's letters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Willa Cather's letters

Post by ElaineB on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:09 pm

O Revelations! Letters, Once Banned, Flesh Out Willa Cather

The letters do not yield steamy intimate detail. But they do make clear that Cather’s primary emotional attachments were to women, while also laying to rest what the volume’s editors, in interviews, called a persistent urban legend: that of the fanatically secretive author eager to erase any record of shameful desire.

After Charles Cather’s death in 2011, the copyrights passed to the Willa Cather Trust, a partnership of the Cather family, the University of Nebraska Foundation, and the Willa Cather Foundation, an educational organization in her hometown, Red Cloud, Neb.

The ban on quotation and publication of the letters was quickly dropped, along with the ban on film adaptations.

So expect to see a resurgence of Willa Cather in the coming years as movies get produced. (I hope. Though I have to say I wasn't a big fan of My Antonia, despite its acclaim.)
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Re: Willa Cather's letters

Post by Proofrdr on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:22 am

I remember liking The Song of the Lark better than My Antonia, but both were read in my youth. What grabbed me and still holds my attention and my admiration are her short stories. There, the brilliance of her writing dazzles. Every word is absolutely necessary, and the characters and images she creates leave me imagining beyond the story.

One of my favorites is The Sentimentality of William Tavener. It can be read online at The Willa Cather Archives at here
Proofrdr
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:58 am

Proofrdr wrote:... Every word is absolutely necessary...
Ah, yes. Sometimes you want a novel with a plot that rolls along and you read it at lightning speed to find out what happens next. Other times you want a story where you slow down and savor each and every sentence, phrase, word. I just read a book of short stories that was like that for me. Sounds like Willa Cather's writing is like that for you, Proof. I will have to check out the story you suggested (when I can find a quieter moment). Smile
BassGuitarGirl
Getting the Hang of Things
Getting the Hang of Things

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Proofrdr on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:43 am

Can't leave it at that, E...whose short stories did you just read? Smile
Proofrdr
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down