Books, books, books, bleh.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Books, books, books, bleh.

Post by gmckn on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Disclaimer: In compliance with FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION 16 CFR Part 255 (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm), I hereby declare that all books read and reviewed by me on this site have been purchased by me (or my wife), borrowed from the library, or received as a gift from someone other than the author, publisher, or editor; that I have not been requested to write a review by the author, publisher, or editor; and that I have received no compensation in any form for posting these reviews.

Of course I have no idea if the FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION 16 CFR Part 255 has any jurisprudence over me out here in Europeville but I promise not to be naughty and self promote either for compensation of the sheer thrill of it.
gmckn
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Re: Books, books, books, bleh.

Post by gmckn on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:07 pm

1 The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer. (Audible Audio book narrated by Cornelius Garrett)

My happiness was - Very Happy Very Happy
Since some of us are on a Regency kick, - not the best GH out there but still a bit of a hoot with some pretty engaging characters. Outlandish plot, but they were a bit strange 'proper' in those days. The romance came in second to a devilish Frenchy plot, but it was a bit of a romp and made me smile all through a lazy Saturday afternoon. The narrator was excellent and made the book come alive, IMO.

I can't find the stars, so following on from Elaine's inventive cleverness I will mark this out of Smilies thus so. (<- Regency, me)
5x Very Happy = post orgasmic contentment.
4x Very Happy = Greek islands and warm breezes.
3x Very Happy = good friends, good food, good wine.
2x Very Happy = finally owning a dog.
1x Very Happy = well, it was free.

I will work on the devils :evil: ( or maybe the No ) when I read a stinker. Hopefully that will be never.
gmckn
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by gmckn on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:21 pm

2 - A Civil Contract by Georgette Heyer

My happiness was thus - Very Happy Very Happy

Not a typical romance but a practical look at an all to commonplace arranged Regency marriage.

Adam Deveril inherits an estate on the brink of collapse. Following the advice of a family friend he forgoes his 'understanding' with the beautiful Julia and instead marries the plain but incredibly wealthy Jenny to the relief of his immediate family.

A decent cast of secondary characters though Adam and Jenny were now and again too insipid, IMO. I would have preferred more of Jenny's POV than Adams. I think she had the more interesting journey and should have been the main vehicle. But heyho, GH is the boss of me.

I liked it though GHs more dyed in the wool fans were not impressed. There is no burning passion here, only mutual respect, support, and a growing companionship, sort of like real life, eh?
gmckn
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by gmckn on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:30 pm

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier ( Audio book)

Blew my socks off - Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I loved this. But then DuM is one of my favourite authors.

Blurb "Orphaned at an early age, Philip Ashley is raised by his benevolent older cousin, Ambrose. Resolutely single, Ambrose delights in Philip as his heir, a man who will love his grand home as much as he does himself. But the cosy world the two construct is shattered when Ambrose sets off on a trip to Florence. There he falls in love and marries - and there he dies suddenly.

In almost no time at all, the new widow - Philip's cousin Rachel - turns up in England. Despite himself, Philip is drawn to this beautiful, sophisticated, mysterious woman like a moth to the flame. And yet . . . might she have had a hand in Ambrose's death?"

This book has so much going on inside the characters and I was continuously thinking them about long after the story ended. It affected my mood intensely.
It's set in Cornwall of 1800s and should appeal to those who like a period piece as well as those who like tense psychological reads.
gmckn
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:44 pm

Wow. That last one sounds intriguing! I've never read Du Maurier. Might give this a try. I love having my socks blown off. (Though maybe a bit cold yet for that.)

Back to top Go down

Post by gmckn on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Read it with your clogs on just in case. I'd love to know what you think, everyone has such different tastes. I'm probably an anchovy :(
gmckn
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Smile It's in the library. I'll check it out. Pun intended. ;)

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:27 pm

It does sound interesting. I have so far only read one of her stories called The House On The Strand. I wasn't overly impressed but maybe I should give it another try.
Athena
Getting the Hang of Things
Getting the Hang of Things

Back to top Go down

Post by gmckn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Athena wrote:It does sound interesting. I have so far only read one of her stories called The House On The Strand. I wasn't overly impressed but maybe I should give it another try.

I haven't read that one. It was on my list to as well. Might be a miss :?:
gmckn
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum