Music or No Music

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Music or No Music

Post by Deej on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:38 pm

I've read and been told that a number of author's listen to music while they write? Do you? I love music, I enjoy listening to my favorite singers, but I can not concentrate on writing with music in my head???

So how about you? And if you do listen, what type of music do you listen to, is it different for different scenes? Just curious.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Music or No Music

Post by ElaineB on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:18 pm

It's funny, when I'm exercising and listening to music, I can block it out and think about what I'm writing (or just decompressing from work). Sometimes I get real breakthroughs. I used to write to Enya, especially the songs in a language I can't understand. It did a great job of blocking out distractions, but I don't do it as often anymore. Maybe I'm sick of her. ;)

I've tried Mozart, especially after they said it would be good for that (since debunked), but haven't had much luck.

I absolutely can't have any music on when I read. At work, I'll listen to a birding webcam to give me natural sounds that can block out conversation.
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:07 pm

A birding webcam? How cool is that. It's obviously a personal choice, but since you asked. No, I don't listen to music when i write, and I often have to remind wifey to turn the TV down when I'm in my office writing.

However, there are a couple of occasions where I'll listen to music. If I'm trying to set a mood for a certain scene, I'll listen to certain types of music just to get me in that mood. I like "the Theme from Schindler's List" and Chopin's Prelude No. 4 for sad scenes. i like "Uprising" by Muse and "Aftermath" by Adam Lambert if I need my character to be angry.
BassGuitarGirl
Getting the Hang of Things

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:13 pm

So what about you, deej?ElaineB? Do you have certain songs you listen to to get you in the "mood"?
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:36 pm

BassGuitarGirl wrote:However, there are a couple of occasions where I'll listen to music. If I'm trying to set a mood for a certain scene, I'll listen to certain types of music just to get me in that mood. I like "the Theme from Schindler's List" and Chopin's Prelude No. 4 for sad scenes. i like "Uprising" by Muse and "Aftermath" by Adam Lambert if I need my character to be angry.
That's an interesting idea. I might try it. I usually read from a book whose author I'm trying to channel (not plagiarize!). I know many authors purposely don't read while writing, but I find it gets the brain cells moving in the right direction. But that's just in general, not moodwise. For emotional scenes, I just try to go there as vividly as possible in my head. Last night I had a dream similar to one a character talked about having that I wrote yesterday. That was a bit creepy.
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:17 pm

No, I can't listen to music while writing, and honestly I only listen in the car, I don't have any other time. Smile I do so admire that others can though.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulaO on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:05 pm

When I am writing, the music is on. Primarily because I have tinnitus and I can't stand the noise when I have to think. Playing games or anything else, I don't notice it. But when writing, that's all I hear.

P!nk, Solas, and Steve Martin's banjo albums. Sometimes I'll toss in some other rock like Jeff Healey and Eric Clapton. But almost always the first two. I've listened to them so much, I don't pay them much attention. The dogs seem to like it. They leave the room when I play Ancient Echoes (Aramaic music) and for some reason they aren't fond of Sarah Groves.
PaulaO
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:33 am

Love Eric Clapton! I'm not familiar with Solas. I'll have to check it out. I love getting ideas from you guys!
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulaO on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:19 am

Solas is a Celtic/Irish music group. Many of their songs are either all Gaelic or half-and-half. They also write songs so that's even better. Their fiddle player is one heckuva good musician. We got the chance to see them here in Asheville (one of the original members of the group now lives here). They've been around I guess 13 yrs or so.
PaulaO
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulaO on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:22 am

Oh, and someone told me of an app that I have fallen in love with. It's called Songza. It has playlists of music. You pick a mood or a situation and it presents you with several themes or groups. It then plays the songs.

A waitress at our favorite restaurant told me about it after I asked her what radio station she listens to. Like us, all she listens to is the NPR stations. We've learned of some really cool bands through this app. And one lady's voice was familiar to Lorna so she looked her up (all on her own! I didn't have to remind her of what Google is!).

There's small ads at the bottom of the screen as the music plays but it's not like I sit there and stare at it.
PaulaO
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:09 am

Songza. Thanks for sharing that PaulaO. I'll have to check it out!
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top