Lesbian Spec Fic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lesbian Spec Fic

Post by ElaineB on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:18 am

Nicola Griffith posted a list of what she considers good lesbian science fiction novels

Happy to report that first on her list was Heiresses of Russ, edited by Connie (Sacchi Green) Wilkins and Steve Berman.

a snapshot of last year's best short sf by or about women who love women. This book amazes me: there are enough speculative fiction stories with queer female characters to make an excellent anthology of selections from one year. One. Single. Year. Wow. Times really are changing. This is the book that made me realise there's no longer any way to keep up with the genre; there's too much. I am smiling as I say this: there's too much lesbian sf!

Go see the rest of the list, then add your own suggestions (and add them here, too). I'm not a big reader of sci fi, so hadn't heard of most of what she listed (though I liked Thendara House a lot less than she did).
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesbian Spec Fic

Post by PaulaO on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:02 pm

LOL But you beta read both of my SF?

I'll have to check out the list. I'm in the mood for some good SF or F.

Thendara House. Is that from Darkover? Now I need to get Lorna up in the attic to bring our books back down.
PaulaO
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:31 am

I warned you, didn't I? ;)

I like good stories. Period. I just don't think to go looking for them in s/f.

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:07 am

Thendara House was AMAZING in its time. A time when lesbians weren't represented (well) in fiction. I DEVOURED that book and the sequel "City of Sorcery". I had already been an MZB fan before then, but you can imagine my fervor after! Very Happy
BassGuitarGirl
Getting the Hang of Things

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:51 pm

"In its time" might be the operative wording. I read it last year and was less than impressed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:17 pm

I think that's true with a number of older, original Lesfic. They wrote what was allowed back then, now there's hardly any restrictions, whether Lesfic or Het. I'm not sure that's a good thing though. Smile

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulaO on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:16 am

I know it is not SF, but speaking about older lesfic...I cannot read more than two pages of the Ann Bannon books. I've tried several times. Even got her to sign one. But I can't stand them. Same with anything Rita Mae Brown wrote. There was one I read but can't remember which one. It took me a long time to plow through it.

SF wise, I read Heinline's Battlefield Earth. Gah. Lorna's parents loved it and passed it along. I kept reading, thinking eventually it will get better. Nope.

Darkover I love. And crap, what's the other series? The one with the white horses/Companions and the people with birds? Mostly gay men main characters but at that point, I didn't care.
PaulaO
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:11 am

Mercedes Lackey?
BassGuitarGirl

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down