To Sleep (SF)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To Sleep (SF)

Post by PaulaO on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:10 pm

To Sleep is my second novel scheduled to be released November 2013. It is science fiction.

I wrote it as a short story-slash-novella a few years ago. Then last year I started another short story as kind of a prequel to it in Dec. 2011. That story got me re-interested in it and I decided to try it again. After working on it for a while, I gave it to some Beta Readers in May 2012. I submitted it to Regal Crest in July 2012 and they offered me a contract a few weeks later.

TS is, in my opinion, not an easy read. It is in the form of a journal by a woman from Philadelphia. What happens is aliens arrive at Earth. When Karen Miller wakes up, she is told Earth was destroyed by a space anomaly and she and a handful of women are the only Humans awake on that ship. That they are to help the aliens figure out how best to wake everyone up when they arrive at the colony planet.

As you can imagine, it was quite a shock. The other women are slowly woken up and together they face the challenge. But it seems to Karen that every time she goes to sleep, she wakes up to something different, some new challenge or stress.

There's a few twists and turns to the book which I hope will intrigue the reader enough to keep them reading. It has science-y stuff in it: genetics, computers, aliens, etcetera and I worked hard to make sure it is plausible. Some beliefs may need to be suspended but only if one is a genetic engineer with a specialty in robotics. ;)

The editor (Natty Burns) and I are just now getting started on editing it. I sent her the reformatted manuscript just the other day and I am assuming she is reading it and marking it heavily. Have I mentioned how much I hate editing?
PaulaO
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top