Tanner's 50 Book Challenge 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tanner's 50 Book Challenge 2013

Post by Tanner on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Okay, I'm not going back over what I've already read this year! I'm too lazy. Smile

Tanner
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Re: Tanner's 50 Book Challenge 2013

Post by Deej on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:59 am

That's fine Tanner. Welcome to the forum.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:44 am

Tanner!
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Hey Tanner, I bet you still won't have problems reaching 50 books. Very Happy
Athena
Getting the Hang of Things

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanner on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Well, it's good to see y'all! Smile Here's my first one.

1. The Anatomist's Wife: a Lady Darby Novel, by Anna Lee Huber. Berkeley Publishing, 2012.

4 stars
Kiera Darby has been living at her sister's estate in Scotland for a couple of years following the death of her husband. When there is a murder at a house party there, Kiera's brother-in-law asks her to help solve the mystery with a fellow guest Sebastien Gage, whose father happens to be an investigator. Why did he ask Kiera to help? Because her husband had made her do drawings/paintings of bodies that he autopsied, which of course was a huge scandal because women just didn't do things like that. And then there was the question of how her husband got the bodies to autopsy in the first place.

I loved this book because of the Kiera character. Strong, resilient, vulnerable -- the author did a great job with her. Good secondary characters also, especially Kiera's sister. If you like Regencies and mysteries (and don't mind het), this is an excellent book. I can't wait for the second in the series! Smile

Tanner
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:17 am

I love regencies, just can t write them. :(

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Tanner wrote:If you like Regencies and mysteries (and don't mind het), this is an excellent book.
Cool, I do like that genre.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by gmckn on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:25 pm

Tanner! Great to see you.

I also love the Lady Julia Grey mysteries by Deanna Raybourn, though these are Victorian England rather than the Regency. In fact maybe you were the one who recommended these to me?
gmckn
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanner on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:48 pm

I just looked up the Lady Julia Grey mysteries and I don't remember reading one (but my memory ain't what it used to be either!) I will definitely have to check one out, G!

Tanner
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanner on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:12 pm

2. A Rose for the Crown, by Anne Easter Smith. Touchstone, 2006. 636 p.

4 1/2 stars

Fictionalized account of Kate Haute and Richard Duke of Gloucester's long time relationship. Smith obviously did a lot of research about the politics and events of the time even though Kate may or may not have really been his mistress. But it was certainly a plausible story, Kate Haute did get an annuity that was listed in Richard's household accounts, and Richard did have two and quite probably three illegitimate children before his marriage to Anne Neville.

Book starts off with Kate as a 40+ year old woman, standing in a doorway, watching some public executions with her son, Dickon. She is grief stricken and Dickon takes her away, only to have her say that one of the condemned was also her son, John. Dickon is stunned and Kate says, "... I will tell you all." It was a masterful beginning and quite a hook!

The story is a tiny bit slow in the beginning when Kate is a little girl but that is a small percentage of the book. Definitely not HEA and not lesbian. But I really loved it. Very nice writing style.

Last edited by Tanner on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelled word)

Tanner
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Tanner wrote:2. A Rose for the Crown,Fictionalized account of Kate Haute and Richard Duke of Gloucester's long time relationship.
This book reminds me that I'm looking for a good fictionalized book about Barbara Villiers, Dutchess of Cleveland and then Countess of Castlemaine. She was one of King Charles II mistresses. Apparently I am descended from King Charles II and Lady Castlemaine!

If anybody know about a book like this, please let me know! Thanks!

Last edited by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
BassGuitarGirl

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanner on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:31 pm

BGG, here's a list about fictionalized books from Wiki (and it also lists some movies/mini-series that had Barbara Villiers as a character.) BGG, are you using Ancestry.com?

Barbara is the protagonist in the book Royal Harlot (2007) by Susan Holloway Scott.
Barbara Villiers figures prominently in Bernard Shaw's play In Good King Charles's Golden Days.
Barbara is the protagonist in Royal Mistress, by Patricia Campbell Horton (1977)
Barbara Palmer née Villiers, as Countess of Castlemaine, features prominently in Kathleen Winsor's scandalous 1944 bestseller Forever Amber.
Barbara features largely in A Health Unto His Majesty, by Jean Plaidy (1956)
She features heavily in The sceptre and the rose, by Doris Leslie (1967) Leslie brings an entirely original psychological interpretation that shows an unusual aspect of the king's marriage.
She is a recurring character in the Thomas Chaloner series of mystery novels by Susanna Gregory.

Tanner
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Tanner wrote:BGG, here's a list about fictionalized books from Wiki
Awesome list! Thanks for doing the research for me. I'll have to check them out.
Tanner wrote:BGG, are you using Ancestry.com?
I am using Ancestry.com, but i haven't been able to find the link to Lady Castlemaine! I'll get back to that search one of these day!
BassGuitarGirl

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanner on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:51 pm

3. The Ripper's Daughter, by Anders & Phair. Self-published, 2012.

2 1/2 stars

Murder mystery set in Boston. Eight murder victims in five years. Main character is burned out, drunken, and having seizures and black outs. This has all been since the murder of her old cop partner, Marty Walsh. His daughter, Jessie Walsh, was put into a mental institution after the murder and she was the main suspect -- until more murders were committed. Colby breaks Jessie out and they go looking for the murderer. (The part that made no sense to me was that Jessie already knew who he was! facepalm She just thought that Colby had to work it out for herself.)

Both women were pretty dang unlikeable, especially the first half of the book. Jessie was bitter (understandably so) but stabbing Colby with a pen in the thigh in one of their first scenes together was not so endearing!

The writing was okay but not great. But still, I did finish the story and I'm not one who thinks that's necessary if it's a terrible book. That's why I gave it 2 1/2 stars. I would have preferred to like the characters a little more, though.

Tanner
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Tanner, any idea why titles with "the X's something" are so popular? The Orphan Master's Son just won the Pulitzer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanner on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:58 pm

I don't know but I loved The Hangman's Daughter! laugh

Tanner
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:23 pm

Tanner wrote:The part that made no sense to me was that Jessie already knew who he was! She just thought that Colby had to work it out for herself.
laugh That really makes no sense.
Athena

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top