Windows 8....

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Windows 8....

Post by Deej on Fri May 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Depending on the computer Beth wants, you can still get Windows 7 on new sales??? Good luck.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Proofrdr on Tue May 21, 2013 9:44 am

My new laptop has Windows 8. I use it primarily for editing. That means I log on to Webster's Online Dictionary and the online CMoS, plus Word 10 for the MS. When I need a break, I also have Ultimate Mahjong 15 or Pretty Good Solitaire. That's it. And Windows 8 does that well; however, I wouldn't use it on a regular basis. I agree that XP was the best platform Microsoft made...most trustworthy, most efficient, most compatible.
Proofrdr
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Wed May 22, 2013 3:20 pm

You might not get Windows 7 installed when you buy a new computer but a lot of companies have drivers for Windows 7(sometimes even WinXP). Before you buy a PC check on the companies website if they do.

Then you would have to pay for Win 7 seperately but I think it would be worth it. Smile
Athena
Getting the Hang of Things

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer on Sat May 25, 2013 10:36 pm

I currently have on order a new Ultrabook. I'm actually not totally sure what defines an Ultrabook as apposed to a laptop, but regardless, it comes with windows 8 but has the touchscreen. I'm the sort that researches the crap out of everything before I buy it, so in reference to Windows 8, what I have found is that it's complete bollocks unless you have a touchscreen, and then it becomes sorta cool. Once I get it, which won't be till Tuesday, I'll let you guys know my impressions of it. My current PC runs Vista 64 Home Premium, which I actually like and have had no issues with in the 3 years I've had it.

As a side note I also have the new (heavily advertized) Samsung Galaxy S4 smart phone on order and expect to get it on Tuesday as well, so I can give feedback on that as well once i figure out how to use it proper.

Daydreamer
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun May 26, 2013 7:29 am

Oh cool, a guinea pig with the phone so I don't have to be. LOL

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sun May 26, 2013 8:48 am

That's what I was afraid of with Windows 8, but I'll be curious to see how it is for you. I understand they are putting back some features folks with actual keyboards will prefer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer on Sun May 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Deej wrote:Oh cool, a guinea pig with the phone so I don't have to be. LOL

*oink oink*

Daydreamer
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Mon May 27, 2013 8:10 am

snigger

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer on Fri May 31, 2013 3:53 pm

Well initial impressions:

The interface is not intuitive. I find it hard to navigate to where I want to go, and am still having trouble accessing things without a bit of a search for it and in some cases throwing up my hands in frustration. The only real positive I have to say thus far, after owning it for a mere 3 busy as hell so I haven't had a ton of time to check it out thoroughly days, is that the touch screen option is frigging cool! Once fully learned, as long as it doesn't turn out to be a glitchy OS, I can see this being a step forward not back. I just think that Microsoft needed to think through how intuitive it is, or more precisely, how it is NOT.

Daydreamer
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:28 am

Which amazes me when you think that they must have beta tested it, focus-grouped it. How do you miss basic usability functions? Maybe all the testers were Microsoft employees. I've tested software where someone literally sits and watches me to see how I get where I get and what was the first route I took. Often it's not what the programmers intended. Everyone is different, which means you need a lot of different people testing things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:57 am

There will be a Windows 8 update released in June.

Microsoft has announced it will offer a preview version of its first major update to Windows 8 next month.
The news comes amid growing criticism of the software's user interface.

Microsoft said the revision to the operating system (OS), codenamed Windows Blue, would be released at Build, a three-day developers event in San Francisco starting on 26 June.

The Verge, ZDNet and other tech blogs have reported that the update could mean Microsoft reversing its decision to remove the start button from the system's desktop environment.

They also suggested it would give users the option of booting their PCs directly into Windows 8's desktop mode rather than having to visit the tile-based Start menu screen first.

Here is the full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22446754
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:32 pm

One other thing..have Decrapifyer ready.

Daydreamer
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:17 pm

That is really shitty... you pay for your OS and then you have to deal with unwanted software and trial version and what not... Mad
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Windows 8 is one year old now. Here is an interesting article about it:
http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-one-year-later-10-mistakes-microsoft-made-and-how-they-plan-to-fix-things-7000018697/
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm not sure I know anyone who actually likes the new Windows 8, and I sure as hell have no intention of getting a computer until all others die out first. LOL

Thanks Athena.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Aj agri. Friends 
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:14 pm

LOL I know you speak ten languages, but this idiot barely speaks english.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:24 pm

We're facing having to upgrade because Beth's computer runs XP and I have Vista and Microsoft is phasing out support for both. Sigh. I'm hoping we can go to Windows 7. She might need a new computer, though. It's a good 10 years old. We'll have to start from scratch and reinstall all her programs, and I don't know if I'm up for that. Plus, it's August and she really doesn't need this before school starts in Sept.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Deej wrote:LOL  I know you speak ten languages, but this idiot barely speaks english.
Aj Agri = Ay Agri = I agree It is in english. Except, MY english. laugh
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Thank you. LOL

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2