Windows 8....

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows 8....

Post by Athena on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Windows 8 has been out for quite a while now and if you buy a new computer it is always equipped with new operating system now (at least in Germany).
At work we ordered our first test PC with Win 8 and I tested it for half an our.

What I can say and what most of you might know is that it is completely different from Win 7 and its predecessors. It doesn't have one deskop anymore but actually two. Two different surfaces. .

This here is the first one. A lot of different apps are pre-installed. Infact everything you can see on the left side. On the right are links to programs I have installed.

The desktop itself is included just as an app. You can see it here:

When you open it however you find a destop with no start menu at all anymore. On the picture you can see that there is only a link to the IE and to a folder:

At first I had no idea how I can get back. But then I noticed that you can navigate by moving the mouse to the edges. If you go to the lower left corner of the desktop you see the link to the start surface again.

So the desktop is really completely empty. The only thing it does now is being the background if you open a program like Office or a browser....
If you go to the right side this will appear:

From here you can manage the system settings and hardware now. I often word with the command shell which you can reach over the start button. Here I tried it with the search option and another side opened with this view:

When I typed it cmd it actually appeared and I was able to include it into the start surface. But I found it rather inconvenient.

All in all I must say that this kind of working might be good for a smartphone or a tablet PC but it really doesn't make working on a normal pc easier. And on top you have to relearn everything again. But who knows... after some time I might get used to it and find it really easier to handle.

Did anyone tried Windows 8 already and had a different experience?

Last edited by Athena on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Athena
Getting the Hang of Things

Back to top Go down

Re: Windows 8....

Post by Deej on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:01 pm

My idiot BIL just got a new computer with it on and he claims he can't use it at all. To be fair, he has difficulty because of his sight.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:07 pm

If I may ask...what is a BIL?
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:10 pm

I don't like Windows 8 at all, I already have dislikes about Windows 7 and it's similar to XP. I agree about being suitable for tablets and smartphones who use touch screen technology but not for computers and laptops.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulaO on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Brother in law.
PaulaO
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulaO on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Every commercial I have seen for Win 8 has been someone with a tablet computer or a touch screen laptop.

I wondered about the accessibility of Win 8 because of the "app" concept.
PaulaO
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks for that overview, Athena! I'd heard about Windows 8 and that it was more for tablets and mobile devices and not so much for desktops. I'm on Vista and wouldn't mind getting 7 but am not sure about 8. My wife uses XP and I dread her having to replace the computer (it's 10 years old) because she's still in Word 2003 (I can barely remember how to use it when she asks me a question).

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:20 am

I know exactly what you mean E. I cringe every time Lee says, "Honey, do I update XXX" <shrug>

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:19 am

"This thing keeps popping up."

I figured out how she got Google Chrome. By mistake while updating Flash (I hate that they make you uncheck the stuff they want to toss in). I knew she had no clue what Chrome was, and she confirmed it. "I have what? What's that?"

Oy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:57 am

That's happens here weekly. I keep telling her to ignore the updates and I'll do them once a week, but then I forget.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:58 am

Athena, thank you for posting this stuff, I know it's in my future and I'd like to be as prepared as possible. I hate how fast technology changes and it's hard for me to keep up.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:42 pm

ElaineB wrote:I figured out how she got Google Chrome. By mistake while updating Flash (I hate that they make you uncheck the stuff they want to toss in).

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of programs have that nowadays. One always have to be careful...

Deej wrote:Athena, thank you for posting this stuff, I know it's in my future and I'd like to be as prepared as possible. I hate how fast technology changes and it's hard for me to keep up.

Glad you liked it. I planned to post a bit more about it as soon as I have time again to test again.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulaO on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:07 pm

I finally have it drummed into Lorna's head to always look for check boxes. Sometimes they say "Check this if you want it" and other times, "Check this if you don't".

Once a week (or whenever I remember) I do the virus update and runs and all that jazz.
PaulaO
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:52 pm

Sounds like we have some candidates for Sandboxie....

Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

There is also a similar program which is freeware, I have never tried it out though... Maybe now is the time.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:07 pm

How would that work??? Is it safe??? :bounce:

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Ah Deej, that is why I posted the link. There it is explained very well.

Everything which would be downloaded by the browser is in a separate space. This space you can simply delete should you accidentaly dowload some malware.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:20 am

I ve read somewhere, that Microsoft is only allowing you to put this OS on one computer, there will be no multiple licenses like in the past???

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Do you mean that you can only put on Win 8 on computers and not Win 7 or XP anymore. Damn. I really wouldn't like for Microsoft to tell me which OS I can install on my own computer.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:34 pm

You can if you buy licenses for each and every computer. Before you could use the same OS on up to three (3) computers in a family, now you have to pay for each one???

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Wed May 08, 2013 7:28 am

Look at me posting in the Nerd area. WooHoo Anyway I found this interesting.

Microsoft to redesign Windows 8 as PC sales plummet

Biggest expectation is that update will revive start button familiar to users for 17 years before removal from Windows 8

When Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer first revealed his software for the touchscreen world in February 2012, he said he was "betting the company" on it.

There were "no compromises" made in replacing the time-honoured desktop with Windows 8's colourful tile-based interface, Ballmer insisted.

But just six months after the official release, Microsoft – which relies on Windows licences for about half its profits – is getting ready to make compromises to key aspects of the software. It comes after its leap into the tablet computing future was described as "confusing" (or worse) by new users and has been blamed for plummeting sales of PCs, which had their sharpest drop on record in the first three months of this year, down 14%.

The biggest expectation is that the update to Windows 8, codenamed Blue and due within a few weeks, will revive the start button that had been familiar to users for 17 years but which was removed from the new version.

[...]
Tami Reller, promoted to head Microsoft's Windows division after Ballmer ejected former chief Steve Sinofsky in November, announced on an internal Microsoft blog on Monday that Blue will be "an opportunity for us to respond to the customer feedback that we've been closely listening to" since the October launch.

"Are there things that we can do to improve the experience? Absolutely," Reller told the Associated Press. "There is a learning curve [to Windows 8] and we can work to address that."

The principal challenge for experienced users of Windows is the total absence of a Start button, familiar since 1995 as the place with all their programs and shortcuts stored in a huge list. Windows 8 instead introduces a layer of giant "tiles" over the traditional desktop.

But users find that perplexing – so much so that one of the bestselling apps on Windows 8 has been Stardock, which lets the user add the start button back in, and ModernMix, which lets tile apps run on the old desktop. That will have given Reller pause – along with the fact that sales of Windows PCs have shrunk for the past four quarters, declining sharply year-on-year by 11.4% between January-March to about 74m.

[...]
However Reller gave no other hints about what's coming, or when. That's a problem in itself, said Richard Doherty of Envisioneering, a market research company: "they had the Vista misstep in 2007 [when an earlier Windows update alienated users] and this is more of that. They're telling people 'take it or leave it', and consumers have been leaving it."

Even so analysts don't think the Start button will return in exactly that form.

At Gartner, a rival research company, vice-president Michael Silver says Microsoft "didn't listen to customers who were pointing [the start button problem] out in testing. They could have had a middle ground, but chose not to – I think Sinofsky made sure it was pretty difficult to make major changes if he didn't want them."

Sinofsky and Ballmer are understood to have argued over such flexibility – which saw the junior leave quickly. Even so Silver thinks the changes will only offer the chance to start the machine purely in the desktop mode, bypassing the tiles; he doesn't expect the Start button back.

[url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... -windows-8]http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... -windows-8[/url]

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Thu May 09, 2013 6:47 pm

I am not surprised about this. People were just happy to understand how to work with Windows 7. This version works well. So why should you learn again a new operating system.

Generally I wonder why Microsoft not just lets you choose Windows version you would like to have installed.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Thu May 09, 2013 7:07 pm

I'm really, really pissed because they intend to STOP supporting WindowsXP effective next year. That's the OS that runs Lee's and my systems, I don't want to move to Windows 7 and shouldn't be forced too. I paid for my computer and if it continues to work, they should have to support it. FFS

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Proofrdr on Thu May 09, 2013 8:12 pm

I agree, Deej. To my mind, XP was the best platform so far. When I upgraded my desktop, I moved that to 7 and I like that too. The transition was very easy.

My new laptop came with 8 and I hate it. I'm fairly computer literate, but I still can't find stuff even after a few months of use.
Proofrdr
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Thu May 09, 2013 8:31 pm

I am total XP lover. I hate, and I underline that, I HATE Windows 8. To be honest I am not quite happy with Win 7 either and don't let me start with Vista. It should have never even be invented.

XP is just like a good pair pf shoes, when they go dead, you just buy a same pair again, cause you KNOW they are good.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Fri May 10, 2013 9:06 am

I didn't know that about XP, but expected it would happen someday. Beth has that on her computer. I have Vista, and have recently looked into upgrading to 7. I have no use or interest in 8. I have 7 at work and like it.

Do they not test these things? Did they get NO feedback that it was a failure? I find that so hard to believe. And to put it on every PC. I can see why it caused sales to fall. Beth would like to get a new computer, but there's no incentive to buy one now if you will be stuck with 8. And I don't want her struggling with a system I don't understand. I have enough trouble remembering how to use the old version of Word she uses. (I can never remember where anything is on the menus. That was always a problem because I'd configure my menus different from how she did it. At least with Word 2007 and 2010, the stuff is in the same place. I may not know where, but it's there.)
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum