Secondary Characters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Secondary Characters

Post by Deej on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:12 am

How do we feel about Secondary Characters? For me I want them to be fully developed, but with out info dumps. I want to see them interact with the main characters, I want to be able to have an opinion, with out being told XYZ is the bad guy, or ABC is the nice one. I want to see it. I know this is normally Show vs Tell, but for me it goes deeper.

No one is a cardboard character, and I don't want to read about them. We all have good and bad in us, I think it's imperative to show that in a book as well.

Thoughts???

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Secondary Characters

Post by Lilien on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Yeah, definitively. I hate books where characters are defined either bad or good. It is simply not natural that way. As for Secondary Characters I enjoy when author doesn't just bombard us with information about some minor characters and puts the focus on main ones. That is why I always enjoyed Radclyffe, she always managed to bring into the story all the secondary characters. I always had this feeling that there is two stories but so very well connected without losing the grasp of who is main character. I also love reading Ali Vali who really has some good books, but she always has this secondary character story which she brings to us as important but then the characters are so not developed and so very rarely mentioned. When I am reading I need for all characters to be fully developed. I also want to discover who is like what, and not for authors to draw that image for me right away and for that to be set in stone.

Also I hate when while reading book, I don't know around what age characters are, even secondary and how do they look. Sometimes these kind of infos come too late or not at all. Once I was reading a book where almost on the end author mentioned that main character is african american. It doesn't change anything how I feel about character, but I do have some kind of movie in my head when I am reading and such a important infos come too late.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Re: Secondary Characters

Post by Athena on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:55 pm

I agree with you both. If a charactor is evil I would like to know why.
Athena
Getting the Hang of Things
Getting the Hang of Things

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top