BassGuitarGirls Rocks 50 Books!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BassGuitarGirls Rocks 50 Books!

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:34 pm

"The disclaimer: In compliance with FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION 16 CFR Part 255, I hereby declare that all books read and reviewed by me on this site have been purchased by me (or my wife), borrowed from the library, or received as a gift from someone other than the author, publisher, or editor; that I have not been requested to write a review by the author, publisher, or editor; and that I have received no compensation in any form for posting these reviews." -- This mandatory disclaimer borrowed from dejay who borrowed it from ElaineB, but I adopt it as my own nonetheless. :cheers:
BassGuitarGirl
Getting the Hang of Things

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Re: BassGuitarGirls Rocks 50 Books!

Post by ElaineB on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:01 am

BGG, you OWN that disclaimer!

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Yes. Yes, I do!
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:25 pm

1) "The Complete Book of Numerology: Discovering the Inner Self"
by David A. Phillips Jay House, Inc. Carlsbad, CA (2005)

If you're interested in the topic of Numerology then this is a good reference.

Numerology is basically the study of numbers and how your particular numbers (as identified mainly by your birthdate) explain the type of person you are -- weaknesses and strengths. (Supposedly...if you believe it)

It was a fun read. And I got interested in it when Dr. Oz had a numerologist on his show.
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:53 pm

So did the numbers tell you something about yourself which was true?
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:54 pm

2) "The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller" by John Truby

Well, apparently this is some sort of revered "bible" for a tried and true storytelling approach. I went in with high expectations, and took a few notes, but as far as it being a revolutionary method for telling stories (he blasts the three-act approach), I didn't find it that helpful. It DID, however, remind me what makes for a good story.

He describes 22 steps, but makes the point that at least 7 steps are necessary in every story (novel, short story, TV commercials, movies) as follows:

A story has a minimum of seven steps in its growth from beginning to end:
1. Weakness and Need
2. Desire
3. Opponent(s)
4. Plan
5. Battle
6. Self-revelation
7. New equilibrium
Because the seven steps are organic, they must be linked properly for the story to have the greatest impact on the audience.

WEAKNESS and NEED (both PSYCHOLOGICAL & MORAL) -- From the very beginning of the story, your hero has one or more great WEAKNESSES that are holding her back. Something is missing with her that is so profound, it is ruining her life.

The NEED is what the hero must fulfill within herself in order to have a better life. It usually involves overcoming her WEAKNESSES and changing, or growing, in some way. The NEED is essential to the story’s success. NEED is the wellspring of the story and sets up every other step. Your hero should NOT be aware of her NEED at the beginning of the story.

If she is already cognizant of what she needs, the story is over. The hero should become aware of her NEED at the self-revelation, near the end of the story, only after having gone through a great deal of pain (in the drama) or struggle (in a comedy).
How do I see it? The NEED is to overcome the WEAKNESS.

Another great point he makes is that every story should have a PREMISE LINE.
The premise is your story, stated in one sentence, is the simplest combination of character and plot and typically consists of some event that starts the action, some sense of the main character, and some sense of the outcome of the story.
My interpretation of this:
WHO (xxxxx) DOES WHAT CONTROVERSIAL THING (xxxxx) TO GET (xxxxx).
OR
A <describe person> takes some basic action <describe what difficult or controversial thing she does> resulting in <state outcome>.
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:05 pm

Athena wrote:So did the numbers tell you something about yourself which was true?
You know, you can take numerology or leave it (just like you might with Astrology or Psychic Mediums, etc), but to answer your question --- sure some of it resonated with me. For instance: Because I have two 6's in my birthdate, this is what the Numerology book said:
The double 6 can either be a mighty challenge or a heavy handicap. The negative aspects produce worry, anxiety, stress, and irritability, particularly around the home and place of work. This is best counteracted by expanding your interests beyond the home and into creative expression. Your vocation must be a creative one, inspired by confident understanding direction. You must be guided, never pushed or threatened. Love and appreciation are vital to you, and act as a balm to your alert nervous system. You require much more rest than most, for you use so much nervous energy in your creative or your everyday pursuits. You must learn to meditate before going to bed to ensure that your sleep is deeply restful. Afternoon siestas were made for you.
Of course, this may be true for everybody -- even those without the double 6 in their birthdates.

It was kind of fun to create and then read over my numerology "chart." Smile
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:25 pm

3) "Appointment with a Smile" by Kieran York (C) 2012
Blue Feather Books, LTD Publisher

I enjoyed this lesbian romance. The main character, Danielle O'Hara, is a painter, and I liked the detail York uses to make me believe that Danielle was indeed a gifted painter. Danielle's sidekick, Esther, was a hoot! Rather unique to this book is the fact that the lesbians portrayed are all in their late 50s or older. Very cool.

The publisher blurb:
For artist Danielle O'Hara, even though romance is nonexistent and her art career has nearly stagnated, she's reasonably content with her circumstances. Then, when she's nearly sixty years old, the greatest adventure of her life begins.
Danielle leaves her Colorado home to attend her first major solo art exhibit in London. While roaming through a street market, Danielle catches sight of her first and only true love, Molly, who had left Colorado and their relationship thirty years earlier.

Danielle never accepted Molly's explanation that the reason their relationship had dissolved was Danielle's compulsion to paint. Although the art world has provided Danielle only minimal recognition, an undying belief in herself has kept her moving forward.

Her encounter with Molly forces Danielle to revisit the past and to confront an uncertain future. In addition to finding Molly again after three decades, she meets Bethany Cortland, a beguiling, confident woman, who is all that Danielle desires in a woman-everything, that is, except that she's not Molly.

The London journey takes Danielle on a trip to the interior of her heart, a place where previously, only her art had been allowed. Now, against her will, she discovers that love and professional success have their own agendas and timetables.
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:37 pm

4) "Daughters of the Great Star" (Revised Author's Edition) by Diana Rivers (C) 1999
Publisher: HandMaid Books, an imprint of Elder Mountain Press

This is a Spec Fic novel about a group of women who were born under the Great Star. It was an interesting read, full of diverse characters who not only fight against the main government, but spend much of the time fighting among themselves. I must say that I really wanted to like this one, and some parts I did, but there were way too many characters and way too many character threads that didn't get resolved. I gave up trying to learn all the new exotic character names. It is apparantly one in a series (I found 5 on Amazon.com), but I'm not sure if I'm going to try another one right away. The story was intriguing though.

Blurb from BellaBooks:
The daughters the young women bore during the passing of the Great Star possessed strange powers, which often they themselves did not understand.

As they came of age, they found themselves estranged from their villages and even from their families. Driven out of their childhood homes, they found one another and formed an alliance with the Witches to create a community where they could belong.
In this panoramic and exciting prequel to Journey to Zelindar, Diana Rivers portrays a world of strong and sensual women, ready to defend themselves against a hostile universe without surrendering their ability to love each other.
This is the first book in the Hadra series.
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Sound both interesting.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 am

5) "Street Angel" by Martha Marinara (C) 2006 Fine Tooth Press (ISBN : 978-0-9766652-3-6)

Great writer. Loved her descriptions and phrasing. This is one I will be keeping on my bookshelves to savor.

She touts this book as a novel. Make no mistake. It is not a novel. Each "chapter" is a short story, and each story features lesbian protagonists. Sure, some of the characters make repeat performances from one chapter to another, coming out of the background as a secondary character into the forefront as the main character, but there is no one goal or story thread throughout. In fact, I wish she had ended the book in the POV of one of the characters from the first story. That would have tied it up for me. Alas, no.

HOWEVER, the writing itself is good, and I intend to learn from it. Smile

Take the opening line for example,
"My bedroom, bathed in whispers and gray shadows, held an elegant tension like when you overfill a paper cup and know if you move it even a little, the tight surface of water will spill over its sides."
OR

on page 148:
"At that moment, Jo's doubts and trepidations gave way to faith, faith in spring and the generosity of warm breezes..."

Last edited by BassGuitarGirl on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Quote notation)
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:57 pm

6) "Vera's Still Point" by Ruth Perkinson by Spinster's Ink

Read this because of a recommendation here in the forum. This was a nice read. Easy, light, but made you think. Great literature references. The main character (a school librarian) basically wants to live her life quietly and pretty much in the closet. A new teacher at the school challenges those notions of hers.

Very nice.
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:38 am

Glad you liked it.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:25 pm

7) " I Heard the Pastor's Daughter was Gay" by Luana Reach Torres (C) 2012 Regal Crest

The main character, Kate, is a christian high school girl who discovers her attraction for another girl -- the basketball playing, take-no-shit-from-nobody already-out lesbian named Jay.

The story is NOT a romance. It's more of a struggle by the main character to come to grips with what she perceived her father (the pastor), her religion, the Bible, God, Jesus, and her christian friends want for her.
From early in the book:
-I understood that Christians can’t be gay, and gay people can’t be Christians.
From the middle of the book:
-For atheists and agnostics it might seem simple to live without God, but for me the thought alone was devastating. Then, something occurred to me. I was going to hell.
SPOILER ALERT
From the end of the book:
I was just trying to be straight because it’s what everyone wanted me to be.
"I realized how much everyone loved me, only on the condition that I change. That love is conditional, and it’s nowhere near being worth the pain I suffered to attain it. God doesn’t love me like that, dad. His love is unconditional."
“You don’t get to judge me.”

So as far as tackling the emotions and conflicted feelings a christian lesbian might go through, I would give this 5 stars out of 5.
However,
As far as this being a well-written novel, I have to give it lower marks. 1 star (out of five). 2 stars would be generous. Not much is developed. Kate falling in love with Jay is instantaneous. Her friendship with a gay classmate is also instant. Cliche's abound. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but there is murder, suicide, an "ex-gay" camp, run-aways, homelessness, drugs, condemnation, damning. And, oh, yeah, let's not forget exorcism. Yikes.
I'm afraid it needed a lot :pale: more (better?) editing, but it's my publisher, so I'll shut up right here.
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:05 am

Whoa.

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:51 am

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:24 am

Exactly! Wish I'd found that emoticon first!
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:04 am

8) "Man Enough" by Beth Burnett.
Here is the blurb from Amazon.com:
Things are going well for Davey Carter. She loves her job and she has a comfortable bed. Granted, her love life is non-existent, her pot-smoking mother is wreaking havoc in her apartment, and she is starting to suspect that her lesbian best friend might be secretly in love with her. But none of that matters when Davey meets Danny, a kind, loving, intelligent man who just may be the love of Davey's life. Until it turns out that Danny is harboring a secret of his own.
I can't say anymore about the plot, because it'll give all the secrets away, but it was an interesting read, especially at the end when emotions get raw and real feelings come out.

I read this one becuase it is the APRIL READ for the LesficREADER group on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/lesficREADER/).

It had funny parts and serious parts and the characterization was good. Although, i must say the plot dragged a little tiny bit in the middle for me, but not enough for me to throw my Kindle across the room. Very Happy
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:25 pm

BassGuitarGirl wrote:... but not enough for me to throw my Kindle across the room. Very Happy
that is something you could do well with a book. A kindle I wouldn't recommend. whistle whistle
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:14 pm

9) "Tactical Pursuit" by Lynette Mae
Forgot to post this one earlier in the year. Here's the blurb from Amazon.com:
Ten years after surviving the terrors of Beirut and army investigations, Devon James and Mac McKinley have found their calling. As a police corporal and SWAT officer, Devon serves her community with distinction, while struggling to escape the nightmares of her military service. Unexpectedly, Devon meets rookie officer Jessica Kilbride and Devon soon dreams of a future with Jessie. But fate has other ideas. Devon's past and present collide when the prime suspect in a series of crimes is revealed to have a sinister connection to a nemesis from her army days. This time around, the threat couldn't be greater, with an adversary who's a killer and will stop at nothing to destroy everything Devon and Mac hold dear.
An excellent book. Lots of believable police procedures and SWAT maneuvers with a little romance thrown in! I enjoyed this one. I believe it is currently on short lists for some awards this year.
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:41 pm

It's a terrific book. I was a beta for this one. OK

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:28 pm

I still want read Lynette Mae's first book, Faithful Service, Silent Hearts.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:44 pm

10) "Long Shot" by D. Jackson Leigh
A nice book with well-defined settings.
The book is set in a rural area of the south and it was nice for me to "experience" fields and horses and dusty roads, since I'm a kid from the suburbs of NYC. The author really knows her way around horses, too! It was an intriguing romance.

This is a good book. I recommend it. OK

Here is the blurb from Amazon.com:
If you’re going to bet a long shot, you have to be prepared to lose.

Equine veterinarian Tory Greyson has always played the safe bet. That is, until she runs into a very cute, opinionated, jobless journalist. The small town of Cherokee Falls is just a pit stop for Leah Montgomery while she figures out how to put her career back on track and deal with her grandmother’s slide into dementia. Tory is unable to resist when Leah talks her into putting money on a long shot at the track and then spending the winnings to buy a wild pony. Will Tory take a chance on Leah, too? Or will she stick with the safe bet and pursue Bridgette LeRoy, the calm, Zen-centered artist who arrives to teach at the local college?
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sat May 04, 2013 10:41 am

11) Heartsong by Lynn Ames
In a couple of recent Facebook polls, this book came out on top as a favorite lesbian romance. I had it on my shelf, so I put it on the top of my to-read list.
Well, it started out wonderfully and I held a lot of hope for a great story. It was good, and I don't regret reading it. (Do you hear a "but" coming?) But the characters seemed to do an awful lot of saying "I love you. I love you. I love you" so often that it felt overdone.
The tension was good and continually ratcheted up, so that was good.

Here is the AMAZON.COM blurb:
After three years spent mourning the death of her partner in a tragic climbing accident, Danica Warren has re-emerged in the public eye. With a best-selling memoir, a blockbuster movie about her heroic efforts to save three other climbers, and a successful career on the motivational speaking circuit, Danica has convinced herself that her life can be full without love. When Chase Crosley walks into Danica's field of vision everything changes. Danica is suddenly faced with questions she's never pondered. Is there really one love that transcends all concepts of space and time? One great love that joins two hearts so that they beat as one? One moment of recognition when twin flames join and burn together? Will Danica and Chase be able to overcome the barriers standing between them and find forever? And can that love be sustained, even in the face of cruel circumstances and fate?
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:36 am

12) "Second Chance" by Prudence Macleod.

What great potential this book had. It's about an eighty-something woman who wakes up in a three-year old's body. She has been reincarnated and remembers both lives. The former life was bitter. She pushed people away and didn't live her life in a loving manner. She'd been born in the late 1800's and there was no place for a lesbian in that era. Born again, she decides that she will live life differently.

Uh, as far as a review. Well, this one had a lot of potential, but I wouldn't recommend it. It had many typoes and needed some editing. It was a great idea.

Last edited by BassGuitarGirl on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top