Who's a favorite Author of Yours?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who's a favorite Author of Yours?

Post by Deej on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Who's books do you buy without even researching beforehand? For me it's Lee Lynch, L-J Baker, and Lynn Ames.

I'm always guaranteed of a few things that are important to me when reading anything by them, the story will be cohesive, the characters will be amazing. By that I mean I will love some and hate others, but I will get to know them all. Lastly the story lines will hold me till the very last page.

Last edited by Deej on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Who's a favorite Author of Yours?

Post by Athena on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:39 pm

For me it would be C.M. Wilson, B.L. Miller and Gina L. Dartt. I just like their way of writing. Very Happy
I would also include L.J. Maas, unfortunately she already passed away so there won't be anything new from her.
Athena
Getting the Hang of Things

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulaO on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:43 pm

I've recently gotten a bunch of Karin Kallmaker's stuff. They are easy reads but usually not every character is perfect and rich and beautiful.

Anything by Lynn Ames without even reading the blurb.

Same with Lori L Lake.

They write such different books.
PaulaO
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:11 pm

Kate McLachlan, Clifford Henderson, Andi Marquette's New Mexico series, L-J Baker, Fran Walker, Nicola Griffith, Kelley Eskridge (though I haven't read everything by her yet), DeJay (because she makes me), Paula Offutt (ditto). ;)

Uh oh, now I'm in danger of leaving someone out. I'll stop at an incomplete list.
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulaO on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:59 pm

I need to read more of Andi's stuff. I think I've only read one.

PaulaO
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Back in the day it was Marion Zimmer Bradley (The Darkover Series especially), but these days I've moved away from Fantasy/Science Fiction (AKA Spec Fic) to Romances.

In that vein...Renee Bess, Karin Kallmaker, KG McGregor, Lynn Ames.

I also enjoy dejay's books (had the privilege to read a chapter in a forum just like this ;) ), Lynette Mae's books are so interesting -- I know so many cops and it puts their jobs in perspective. Oh, there are so many writers!
BassGuitarGirl

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:17 pm

Athena wrote:For me it would be C.M. Wilson, B.L. Miller and Gina L. Dartt. I just like their way of writing. Very Happy.

I'll have to check these authors out! That's why I love forum's like this. You get such great info.
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:13 am

BassGuitarGirl wrote:Back in the day it was Marion Zimmer Bradley (The Darkover Series especially)...
I am just reading the series and I like it very much. Very Happy

BassGuitarGirl wrote:I'll have to check these authors out!
Some of their works is available online. C.M. Wilson for example offers the first book of her When Women were Warriors Series as a free download. www[.]catherinemwilson.com/free-ebook[.]html

(Replace the [.] with . )
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Athena wrote:
BassGuitarGirl wrote:Back in the day it was Marion Zimmer Bradley (The Darkover Series especially)...
I am just reading the series and I like it very much. Very Happy
Ahh! Are you really? What book are you reading now? Fantastic! I still have a couple on my shelf that I haven't read yet -- her collaborations with Deborah J. Ross. :cheers: Very cool! I knew I liked you!
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Athena wrote:Some of their works is available online. C.M. Wilson for example offers the first book of her When Women were Warriors Series as a free download. www[.]catherinemwilson.com/free-ebook[.]html (Replace the [.] with . )
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll check it out in a few minutes if I don't :sleep: first. This time change is knocking me on my butt. I should just give up and go to sleep, eh?
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by gmckn on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:09 am

PaulaO wrote:I've recently gotten a bunch of Karin Kallmaker's stuff. They are easy reads but usually not every character is perfect and rich and beautiful.

I'd ditto this. It's a nostalgia thing too, KK wrote one of the first Naiad books I ever found ( and they were hard to get in Northern Ireland let me tell you). I also have a warm spot for 'Curious Wine' for the same reason.
gmckn
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:56 pm

BassGuitarGirl wrote:What book are you reading now? F
I am reading now A Flame in Hali. Book Three of The Clingfire Trilogy.

I started with Darkover Landfall, then continued with Stormqueen, The Fall of Neskaya and Zandru's Forge.

As you can see I am quiete at the beginning. Smile
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 am

Athena wrote:As you can see I am quiete at the beginning. Smile
Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote the books so that they could be read in any order. In fact, she wrote them in random time-line order.

My favorite ones are "Thendara House" and "City of Sorcery." I recommend those if you're looking to read more. Oh, and for some reason I really liked "Hawkmistress." I think I liked that last one because the main character was a teenage girl. Maybe that influenced me to write for a young adult audience. :dunno:

So exciting to find someone else who's reading MZB. ☀
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Oh, I definitely plan to read more. Some time ago a german publishing house offered the whole Darkover series. And I was so lucky to get it. 32 books altogether. The only thing I regret is that they are in German language and not in the original english one... but I still enjoy reading them.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:01 pm

Athena wrote:The only thing I regret is that they are in German language and not in the original english one... but I still enjoy reading them.
Oh, are you from Germany? I wanted to take German in high school (here in America) along with Spanish, but I didn't have any room in my schedule. That and dropping piano lessons has been two of my (probably many) life's regrets.
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanner on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 pm

I'll buy Karin Kallmaker's sight unseen & Gill McKnight's as soon as they come out. I also love JM Redmann's, Jove Belle's, and Saxon Bennett's. I'm sure I've accidentally left a bunch of authors off.

Tanner
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:12 pm

BassGuitarGirl wrote: I wanted to take German in high school (here in America) along with Spanish...
I don't know about spanish but a lot of German and English words are quite similar which makes it easier to learn.

Tanner wrote:I also love JM Redmann's,,,
I have read three books of her Mickey Knight series and I really enjoyed them.

Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am

I was thinking about highlighting one or two authors as my favorite but it doesn't come so easy. Cause I think I mostly concentrate on book itself as my favorite and not on author. Picking the book to read by any author really depends on my mood in that moment. There is so many great authors out there and I find pleasant to read. But I found that sometimes even if I like reading stuff from certain author, not all of the books are hitting home with me. I really do enjoy Radclyffe's earlier writings much more that I do her present. Nerveless I will always gladly read her book, new or old ones and I re-read so many of her books so many times. She is one of the top authors I enjoy. I also love reading Gerri Hill, even if she doesn't always leave me with WoW with her books, I'm rarely left disappointed. K.G. Macgreggor and Shaken Series, I loveeed those and some other books from her, but again her Sea Legs and Photographs of Claudia haven't really made any impression on me. Same as L-J Bakers Broken Wings, I loveed that one. I re-read it couple of times, but Lady Knight haven't at all kept my interest. Ali Vali I often read and re-read. Her Balance of Forces, Love Match, Carly's Sound and Devil Series are amazing, but with her I always miss the side character development. She has them so many, but again she never goes deep into introductions with them. I also loved reading DeJay's books. Boss, or no Boss, she has amazing writings which I enjoy. With the Redemption in beginning I had problems adjusting to the First Person writing, cause I always skipped those books, but I got adjusted so fast and I enjoyed both of her books. Erin Dutton has some books I love reading but again some of her books just don't seam so interesting to me.

I missed mentioning some authors, I am sure. But all of the authors I mentioned are awesome and very talented in writings. There are some authors I read with only one book published, I love those books, but again maybe if they publish more then I could realize how it was just a one time glory.

I do have authors I love, but I mostly factorize the books than the authors.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:59 pm

That's a good point, that there are authors who have excellent books, but not everything by them is of the same quality. There aren't a lot of authors I'll read without hesitation, and there are some I've tried once and will never touch again, which can be a problem because with at least one I've heard she really improved. But I hated her first book.

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:30 pm

True that. Some authors' books hit "your" spot and other books don't. You have to take a chance, though. I guess it's just like a singer or band. sometimes you like one or two of the songs, sometimes most. I'll always buy a Melissa Etheridge album -- sight unseen (or sound unheard rather?!?). But other artists? I'll wait and listen to samples on Itunes or something.
BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top