Athena's Book Challenge 2013

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Athena's Book Challenge 2013

Post by Athena on Sat May 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Deej wrote:... I'd send them to you to read, but it would cost a fortune. LOL
laugh I can imagine that considering that she wrote so many books.

No worries I have a collection also (hardcover in German language and e-books in English). Wow, I feel really priviledged that you would send me your Agatha Christie books. Hi5 I must admit I would have a hard time sending them away. laugh
I don't mind about any other books but this collection is from the 70ies and nowhere available anymore...

Last edited by Athena on Sun May 26, 2013 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Athena
Getting the Hang of Things

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sat May 25, 2013 4:08 pm

I trust that you would take care of them, I know how much you love her, just as I do. I started reading her back in the 70's, then I bought the entire collection in the late 80's. OK

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Sat May 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks to Athena's constant repeating of the content of the book, I think I know all the lines in The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side. laugh
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:34 pm

(09) Barbara L. Clanton - Art for Art's Sake: Meredith's Story  [Young Adult]
Thank you again for the giving us the book, BassGirl Yahoo

Synopsis:
High school senior Meredith Bedford is a social outcast. Her family recently moved from the Catskill Mountains to the sprawling suburbs of Albany, the capital of New York State. Shy and self-conscious about her acne scars, she stays to herself and tries to remain invisible. Her twelve-year-old brother, Mikey, has Down Syndrome and she tries hard not to blame her troubles on him. Despite verbal and sometimes physical harassment, she survives because she has her art. She was selected to be part of the elite Advanced Placement art class and is quite good at capturing the emotions of her subjects in her portraits. Art is the one thing, besides her family, that helps her cope with her outcast status. One day, at a senior class meeting, she sees Dani Lassiter, president of the senior class, captain of the lacrosse team, and knows that she must paint this enigmatic young woman. One class period later, Dani manipulates things to have Meredith as her partner for a history project. Meredith is suspicious of Dani's motives, but takes a chance. And it pays off. Meredith slowly sheds her invisibility cloak and allows Dani in-a little at a time. They explore an old Victorian house for their history project and become close with Esther and Millie, the two older women who own the house and who've lived together for about forty years. But, when Dani reveals to Meredith that she is gay, Meredith simply can't deal with the news. How had she not known? What is it that won't allow her come to terms with this unexpected news? Will Meredith control her own homophobia or will she reject the one person who had taken a chance on her and made her feel human?

I really liked the book. It's about the excitment of finding your first love, discovering who you really are and it even has a little mystery in it. I must say the cover puzzled me a bit at the beginning. I was wondering what kind of stick that is the girl is holding but I figured out that it must be a lacrossestick. four stars
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:52 pm

(10) Agatha Christie - Cards On the Table  [Crime]

Synopsis:
This is a very unusual Poirot novel in that it has an equal number of suspects and detectives (four in each case). Poirot is invited to dinner by an eccentric acquiantance, Mr Shaitana, who promises to introduce him to four murderers who have got away with their crimes. When Poirot arrives at Mr Shiatana's he finds three other detectives there, enigmatic Superintendant Battle, Colonel Race of the Secret Service, and Mrs Ariadne Oliver, an eccentric writer of detective fiction. The four murderers are elderly widow Mrs Lorrimer, bluff Doctor Roberts, dashing, adventurous Major Despard, and Anne Meredith, a young girl. The two parties, murderers and detectives, settle down to play bridge in separate rooms, and Mr Shiatana sits by the fire in the murderers' room. In the course of the evening he is murdered, but which of the four is responsible? The four detectives set out to solve the crime.
What I really like about that book is that all characters did commit some kind of crime. You just have to figure out who actually killed Mr. Shiatana.
Also in this book you will meet a wonderful character: Mrs. Oliver who is similar to Agatha Christie herself. Very Happy She is one of the reason why the book is worth reading.
four stars
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:28 pm

I've been thinking about re-reading all her stuff. I love her writing. OK 

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Did you read all her stories? I still have a long way to go...

She also wrote as Mary Westmacott. I read that these stories are very different from her usual writings.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:55 pm

I did read them all years ago. After I finish my noveI think I'll start them again.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Agatha Christie wrote under a different name? I did not know that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:25 am

I didn't either. Have you read any of them Athena?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:25 pm

No I haven't read anything from her writing under that name yet. I read though that these stories are not similar to her usual crime novels.

Here you can find a list of Mary Westmacott stories:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/10058.Mary_Westmacott
Athena

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top