Winter Weather

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winter Weather

Post by Deej on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:16 pm

Just in case anyone is wondering, our Wifi is spotty of late because of all the winter storms here. We currently have 38 inches of snow on the ground (that's 96 centimeters) and it's snowing!!!! Again. We were supposed to get rain today, but instead it's snow and we've already gotten another four inches and it's still coming down.

How's everyone else doing?

I know Proof is dealing with ice, what about the rest of us?

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Winter Weather

Post by Lilien on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:39 pm

I am really sorry you guys are dealing with such a rough winter. In our part of the world it's like the spring begun. Hopefully the snow will stop soon and you can get some rest.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:45 pm

Could be worse. We could be in the UK. Flooding since before Christmas! It's warming up here, so raining. And the ice melting from my roof has been pouring down behind the gutters. Not sure that's a good thing. Though, knock wood, it does not seem to be coming into the house. Sun tomorrow!

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:55 pm

I saw the pictures of your house, Deej.  Unbelivable 
Here we have had around 10°C (50°Fahrenheit) and sun. Quite unusual for this time of the year. We should have some snow...
Athena
Getting the Hang of Things

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Yeah, crazy winter!

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Oh, and Deej, do be careful. Here a young woman was killed when her carport collapsed from the snow (and rain, which just adds weight).

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:04 am

I remember those days. You think spring will nevvvvvvvvvvvvver come! Ahh, but it's so nice when it does. The crocuses were the best! It signaled winter was ending and softball season was almost here!!!! Yahoo 

I know there will absolutely be zero sympathy, but... When you guys get spring, we start to get yucky humidity and I tend to stay inside. Sucks.
BassGuitarGirl

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:29 pm

I hate the humidity as well. This has just been an exceptionally hard winter and with the weather came the damages. Our fence collapsed under the weight of the snow coming off the roof. Same with the hand rail for our steps. This is the second time we'll be fixing both since we moved here 10 years ago.

On the bright side of things, we had a new heating system and air conditioner installed last summer. When we had the outside unit installed the moved it from the back of the house, (right next to the downed fence) to the front, under the porch. Because of my wife's suggestion, we will not have to replace a brand new unit because of ice. <phew>

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:31 am

While we in the east are dealing with another snow storm expected today, this story is scary as hell and I'm so glad I don't live in Washington.

Hope of finding more survivors of Washington landslide dims as list of 14 dead, 100 missing continues to grows

Peering across the devastated landscape, Cory Kuntz just shakes his head.

"When you look at it, you just get in shock," he told CNN affiliate KING. "You kind of go numb."

Kuntz lost his aunt and his home on Saturday when a rural Washington hillside north of Seattle gave way, crashing and oozing its way through the community of Oso.

Thanks to the efforts of friends and neighbors, his uncle's life was spared, though he was nearly buried alive
Death toll continues rising in landslide
Family missing in Washington landslide
Death toll continues rising in landslide
Families still hopeful after landslide
Desperate search for landslide survivors

"They heard him pounding on that roof. He had a little air pocket and a stick. He said he was poking up on it, banging on it," Kuntz said. "My neighbors and my friends came and started digging him out and just couldn't get to my aunt in time."

As the search and rescue effort carried into a fourth day, the number of dead and missing grew as hope of finding any more survivors dwindled.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:28 pm

I was watching this on the news for the past several days. Terrifying and very sad.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:12 pm

Oh my god, yes, this has been horrifying to watch!

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:26 pm

And it's coming out now that they knew it was inevitable for years. FFS.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:49 am

Yeah, that's the worst. Houses were built after the risk was known. There'd been a smaller slide a few years ago. But some people moved there not knowing about the risk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Exactly. Someone should have to be responsible for that.  Mad Mad Mad 

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top