Male Writers of Lesbian Fiction

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Male Writers of Lesbian Fiction

Post by Lilien on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:50 am

I got a link from a friend about one topic where a person who wrote lesbian fiction and gained certain popularity has turned out to be a male. Now, I read the post and there is a hell of a lot angry ladies there. Most of them are angry for the deception, for lays, for false introduction.

I do not know this person and I have never read anything by him and I am not overly familiar with the whole situation so I would not go into some big discussion about it, until I read a bit more about it.

I personally do not mind if there are male authors of lesbian fiction. I am not a person who would pick a lesbian romance book written by a male, cause I think they can not write it as good as women (lesbian women). But if there is someone who would read it and someone who doesn't mind, go own! Write. But falsely presenting yourself as a female lesbian author, and using that alias to deceive people, now that is shitty and seriously fucked up.

Here you can find the whole article:

http://lesficadvocates.blog.com/

Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Re: Male Writers of Lesbian Fiction

Post by Deej on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:32 pm

Yup, the personal deception is the issue. If he had been upfront there wouldn't be such an uproar. I just unfriended him.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Huh. Not sure what I think about this. Robin's Facebook page says she's female. Robin's Amazon bio is interestingly lacking in pronouns. Jane Austen wrote under a male pen name. George Eliot was a woman. It happens all the time. I can see why lesbians would be upset, however, given our marginal status. It's hard enough being lesbian without having to put up with someone pretending to be one to sell books. If true, Roseau is violating Facebook's terms of service. Frankly, any writer with a pen name Facebook page is, too.

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:16 am

ElaineB wrote:I can see why lesbians would be upset, however, given our marginal status. It's hard enough being lesbian without having to put up with someone pretending to be one to sell books. If true, Roseau is violating Facebook's terms of service...
He is also violating our trust. As you say, Elaine, given our marginal status, it feels like a violation that someone is treading on the sacred ground we collectively worked hard to cultivate. Resentment is another good word.  Pissed
BassGuitarGirl
Getting the Hang of Things
Getting the Hang of Things

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Exactly BGG. He made friends with a number of women under the guise of being a woman. They exchanged stories, shared heartache at times and most importantly he used a number of the woman who do reviews to get them to give him good ones. He cultivated their trust and friendship for his own monetary gains. TerryB is heart broken that she allowed herself to be deceived. Take if from someone who knows first hand, you don't allow yourself to be deceived, the person you think of as a friend rips the rug out from under you in a moment of selfish cruelty and you're left wondering what the fuck happened. Can if be avoided, yeah, but I don't really want to live life hating everyone and trusting no one.

RoJoe as Trin Denise is calling him has every right to write under a pen name and while I'm not happy, it's his right. My issue is he lied blatantly about it. He cultivated friendships with women who believed he was a woman. That's about a liar, not a pen name.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Deej wrote:he used a number of the woman who do reviews to get them to give him good ones.
And there's another problem. In the discussions, a few have mentioned what they didn't like about the books, yet I don't think they mentioned these things in their reviews. Just goes to show you, honestly is the best policy all around the block. It does seem like he duped several women. Sad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Exactly Elaine. His/her gender would not be an issue for me if he/she was honest about it. By that I mean, the woman he/she got close too, the ones that felt they were good friends, they had a right to know the truth. Some women use the internet and the people the meet as their support system in life. It's their only means to help, he/she betrayed those women who thought they were talking with another woman who understood what they were dealing with. The real horror of it all, is one of the women involved was a DV survivor, she told this Ro/Joe about what she went through, about the physical abuse. It's in one of his most recent books, almost word for word. That's a betrayal of the ultimate kind in my opinion.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacchi on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:31 pm

I saw some of this unfolding. I've used a couple of stories by men in my anthologies, usually under their own names (or male pen names,) although in some of my books I draw the line because of the theme. On the whole, I like to think I can write from a male point of view if I feel like it, although I've only done it twice as far as I can remember, so I don't mind men writing from a female point of view if they do it well. We're all more complex than our genders might indicate. But yes, the deception on a personal level is wrong. I have to admit, though, that I use my pseudonym on Facebook because that alter-ego has published a lot more than I have under my real name. I freely refer to my real name on Facebook and elsewhere, though. (I used a pseudonym when I started writing erotica because I'd been writing some science fiction/fantasy for kids, and thought I'd be doing a lot more, but I haven't. Yet.)
Sacchi
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

http://sacchi-green.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Deej wrote:The real horror of it all, is one of the women involved was a DV survivor, she told this Ro/Joe about what she went through, about the physical abuse.  It's in one of his most recent books, almost word for word. That's a betrayal of the ultimate kind in my opinion.
That is gross and creepy! There are no circumstances where that's OK.

I don't see the pen as an issue. I'm more surprised when I find out someone is using their real name. (Full disclosure, not that I've ever denied it, but I use a pen name.) Besides, when you sign a contract, at the very least, the publisher knows who you are, if you are honest. But this is the Internet, where men pretend to be boys to lure girls into sex trafficking. If you have issues around deception, the Internet is not the place to be. Period. It's too bad. As you say, Deej, it can be a lifeline. But you just can't assume anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacchi on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:05 pm

The publisher has to know your real name if they're paying you by check.
Sacchi
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

http://sacchi-green.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top