Tech Prowess (or not)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tech Prowess (or not)

Post by ElaineB on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Rather than post a one-off, I thought this could be a place where we discuss general tech issues we are dealing with.

For example, today we  had to buy a new printer. That opened up all sorts of possibilities for disaster. So far, there have been none! Am I proud of myself or what? Cool 

We chose the one we thought could best withstand the cats lying on it. Yep, that's the level we're dealing with here. So we got a Canon PIXMA MX452 (I think). I have a PIXMA at work that I mostly use for scanning and it seems fine. My boss had recommended it--he has one at home and loves it.

Anyway, it was dicey because Beth's computer runs Windows XP and we weren't sure a new printer would work with that. There was a comment on the store's website from someone pissed that an HP printer, claiming to work with XP, did not, and HP even admitted it. Not sure if he ever got it going.

Anyway, I spent the better part of the afternoon installing it. Of course there are a bazillion things on it Beth will never use (Image Garden?). But it works and she can print. I need to look at all the features to figure out things for her as she needs them, but basic printing seems there, so that's a good start.

Next was hooking up my computer for wifi printing. First attempt failed. Actually first couple of attempts failed. "Push the WPS button." No idea what a WPS button is. I guessed, once I found out it had to do with the router (then quickly Googled it to be sure). Didn't work. Next was connecting by cable. I was afraid I'd need my router's password so was ransacking the house looking for our paperwork. Turned out I didn't need it. It connected OK, finished setting up, and I'm good to go.

Big fat Whew! drinks 

Next up, converting her XP to Windows 7. Not looking forward to that!

Back to top Go down

Re: Tech Prowess (or not)

Post by Deej on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:23 pm

LOL We just had to buy a new printer as well, first thing I azked was would it work with XP? Thankfully the issue with HP and XP was keeping the updatd s current. I did and the printer is great.

congrats on an easy install, well done.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:04 am

We have Pixma MG5250 at home. It took a bit to set up the wifi too. I remember the time when you bought devices plugged them into wall and they worked.

Xp to Windows 7. I am about to do the same. If you two survive, I gonna take the step. laugh Although the perfect solution would be buying new laptop, which I will probably do until end of the year, if I win loto. Except, I should start playing it for me to win. Ohh, so much pressure.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Lilien wrote:Xp to Windows 7. I am about to do the same. If you two survive, I gonna take the step.
By all means, feel free to go first! Take good notes. Then fix all the bugs and tell me how to do it. Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:08 am

LOL

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:20 pm

By way of update, it didn't go all that smoothly after all. When Beth tried to print, it didn't work. This was after I'd fooled around with the cable to get my laptop to connect wirelessly. It took some doing, but I finally managed to fix it. In the process, I found out she has different print options than I have. Something called Web Print EX. We couldn't figure out what it was, but seems to have come with the printer and is supposed to make it easier to print web pages--you only print what you want. That would be cool. But why on her machine and not mine? I loaded the software too.

Hours wasted and no writing! And I had to leave early today, without breakfast, for a cholesterol-test blood draw before my physical next week. Upside was getting a cholesterol-filled breakfast afterwards. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:01 pm

LOL
Upside was getting a cholesterol-filled breakfast afterwards. Very Happy
Love it. If you and B are working different platforms or if you set up the "Print" option differently, that will create the variance of the process. Also it depends on what each machine is equipped with and capable of.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:22 am

That printer looks robust enough for cats. laugh  Liky Lily said we have a Pixma MG5250. One think I don't like about it is that when one colour is empty you simply can't print anymore. It seems like not even black/white printing is possible. Grrrr. Mad 
Athena
Getting the Hang of Things
Getting the Hang of Things

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Bummer. That's good to know.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top