How to chose the font for your book?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to chose the font for your book?

Post by Lilien on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:32 am

How to pick a right font for your book?

As always I will be discussing the difference between Ebooks and Print books.

Why is important to chose a good font?

Book tend to be several hundred pages long and for the reader to enjoy going through thousands of black spots on a white paper, you must create a visual effect appealing to his eyes. Same as interior design of the book (paragraphs, chapters, section breaks), font plays an important part in designing your book and giving your reader a pleasant experience.
Now, you may think font is font, so there is no difference between seeing it on screen or on paper. But there is. Some fonts adjust nicely to the bright screen while on paper which is without background light will lack in its glory. Also some fonts look good on brochures, or flyers while in book they would look not so pleasant and hard to read. Display font has differs from text font in its weights, spacing, set widths and many other details.

Can I choose same font for my print book and ebook?

You can. But, have in mind that ebook-readers give an option to a read to choose the font and background of his book so default font would be desirable. Some e-readers have troubles reading the embedded fonts and that will cause your book to have certain characters which you didn’t planned to appear.

Which is the best font I should use for my print book?

With technology advancing in later years font typography made some big progress. You have thousands of fonts out there but it doesn’t mean all of those fonts are perfect for your book.
Some of the typefaces I recommend for interior of your fiction book are:
Garamond, Caslon, Minion and Palatino, Helvetica.
These fonts enhance the readability in my opinion, but when choosing the font you also have to look at the theme of your book.

Are all of the fonts free?

No! Some fonts come as a default with your computer. Some fonts you can download for free over internet. But I strongly recommend to read the licence before using them in any commercial purposes. Cause not everything that has label FREE means it’s actually free and it can save you time with any possible lawsuit later. Also there are certain fonts you can purchase from author itself or official font sites.

I am a cover designer and I work with formatting ebooks. I do have experience with interior design of print books , but I am not the master of this skill. I worked in desktop publishing for couple of years but mostly designing covers of magazine and newspapers, together with their interior.

I opened this thread to start a topic on fonts, I have couple of articles I would like to share in the future on this topic by Interior Book Designers much more experienced than me. I am sure their articles will provide you with much more detailed explanation about font typefaces, kerning, leaning and space and about which font to use for a certain kind of book.

One thing though. When creating your book for print, try to avoid Words default font, especially Times New Roman. Times New Roman was created around 1930 for newspaper purposes and it so commonly used everywhere that it will give your book a cheap look.

Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Re: How to chose the font for your book?

Post by Deej on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:23 am

Excellent information again Lily, thank you.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacchi on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks, Lily. I saw an article being shared online a day or two ago about a study that showed that people could read the same material in different fonts and come away with different opinions about it.
Sacchi
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

http://sacchi-green.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Lily (and Deej), I thought of you recently when I came across an interesting blog post on fonts. Of course, I've no idea where it is now. But you seem to have this covered: many of the same fonts were recommended.

Have you seen the documentary, Helvetica? We rented it recently (Beth thought I was nuts). It was quite interesting  but didn't go into the topic of fonts as deeply as I wanted. But man, Helvetica is everywhere (except on my PC Mad!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Of course it's not on your PC, that would mean Microsoft wanted to make things easier for people. LOL

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:55 am

I heard about the movie on some articled a while ago, but I never saw it.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top