Gun Control

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gun Control

Post by Lilien on Thu May 02, 2013 4:35 pm

This news is going all day on Radio.

(CNN) -- A Kentucky mother stepped outside of her home just for a few minutes, but it was long enough for her 5-year-old son to accidentally shoot and kill his 2-year-old sister with the .22-caliber rifle he got for his birthday, state officials said.
The shooting that took the life of Caroline Sparks in southern Kentucky has been ruled an accident, Kentucky State Police Trooper Billy Gregory said.
"It's just one of those nightmares," he said, "a quick thing that happens when you turn your back."
Young children in the area are often introduced to guns at an early age, Gregory said.
"In this part of the country, it's not uncommon for a 5-year-old to have a gun or for a parent to pass one down to their kid," he said.
Her family kept the Crickett rifle in what they considered to be a safe spot, Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told the CNN affiliate.
The boy was playing with it Tuesday when it accidentally went off and killed his sister, White said.
"The little Crickett rifle is a single-shot rifle, and it has a child safety," White told CNN. "It's just a tragic situation."

The Crickett website features three .22-caliber rifle models for kids, with shoulder stock colors ranging from pink to red, white and blue swirls. "My first rifle" is the company's slogan.

Family members Wednesday described the shooting as an accident.

"He just picked (the gun) up before he realized it," grandmother Linda Riddle told WLEX.
Riddle said her granddaughter enjoyed singing and playing outdoors, and she loved her brother.
"It's just tragic," uncle David Mann told the CNN affiliate. "It's something that you can't prepare for."
Riddle said she is devastated, but comforted knowing that her granddaughter is in a better place.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/kentucky-accidential-shooting/index.html

Family members say this is an accident??? How in the hell this could have happened, if the parents took care of the guns in the house?? Why in the hell they even had a damn gun. They also, say, how the gun was on apparently safe place???? Bullshit! How safe that place could be if the 5 year old could have reached the gun, under couple of minutes for how much mom is claiming to have left the house.

While I read these comments, I had this strange sick feeling in my stomach. It's like all the family members are completely OK with the fact that their 5-year old shot his sister. Maybe I am a bit harsh here, maybe not OK, but definitely not blaming themselves or the fact that they owned a gun which was in completely unprotected place. For me it seams as if for them it was all a simple accident. Like when a kid brakes 50 year old family vase.

Second thing: I googled this company which apparently sells guns for youngs. And it DOES exist. When you google it it will take you to the google page where you can open the site and nicely you can see this:

This is a screen shot I made. You can test it yourself.

But when you go on their site, it's temporally down???? Guns for KIDS??? I am beyond anger and amazement that something like this is happening somewhere in world. Just tragic.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Re: Gun Control

Post by Deej on Thu May 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Yeah I read this story and wasn't surprised by the stupidity of the comments. Obviously they don't practice gun safety and wasn't teaching this five year old about safety. The gun was put away loaded??? Are the fu%^ing nuts??? And as you said, put away, obviously not if the five year old could reach it.

I think the parents should be brought up on charges, not the little boy. Mad Scared Mad

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Fri May 03, 2013 8:56 am

This is really shocking.

Deej wrote:
I think the parents should be brought up on charges, not the little boy.

Of course the parents should face the charges. How can you give a 5 year a gun? Together with the parents that company should be charged, too.
Athena
Getting the Hang of Things

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Sat May 04, 2013 9:57 am

Unfortunately it seams that company is legal. And you can't touch them. Which is the most horrifying part. There is a company that sells guns to kids??!!! And it is completely legal. Just horrifying.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sat May 04, 2013 10:30 am

More importantly, parents buy into the advertising and then buy the guns. Just because a rifle is pink, does not make it any less lethal. FFS

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sat May 04, 2013 11:17 am

Lilien wrote:"It's just tragic," uncle David Mann told the CNN affiliate. "It's something that you can't prepare for."
Riddle said she is devastated, but comforted knowing that her granddaughter is in a better place.
Uh...you could have NOT BOUGHT THE KID A GUN! How stupid is this family? Scared Scared Scared
BassGuitarGirl

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer on Mon May 27, 2013 1:36 pm

I'm gonna ruffle some feathers here:

First of all, the company does not and cannot sell guns to minors. They sell the guns to adults, in this case parents. Obviously background checks and the like have been done. Marketing to minors is not the same as selling those products to them. We can get into the semantics of how ethically sounds, or intelligent this is all we want, but it should be distinguished.

Buying a kid a gun is actually not a bad idea if you want children to grow up with a knowledge of proper gun etiquette and safety. My brother had a hunting rifle when he was about 13, has taken gun safety courses and the like. I feel he is probably far better off with that experience of having his father teach him proper use and handling, and done safety courses as a minor before he was permitted to use one as an adult.

On point...NO 5 year old should have a damn gun! there is an age of reasoning that must be gained before a child can handle things like this. Even the most responsible 5 year old cannot understand the full impact of death and pulling that trigger. I do not agree that any child that young should have anything that is lethal. same with knives, power tools, etc. This is clearly on the parents and their stupidity, and yes, I agree, they should be charged for criminal negligence, or at least stupid parenting 101.

Safe place? This is really the main reason why the parents should be charged. I presume that a safe place in the eyes of the court and gun safety regulations means locked inside of a gun safe. There is really no other option here when you have children in the home. A "safe place" is not the parents closet hidden behind some sports coats or dresses.

The bigger issue here is really what age a child should begin to be taught how to use a gun properly, and whether or not the parents are doing so/making sure it is done. My brother was not allowed to have a gun until he was a teenager. For some parents this may seem either too late or too soon depending on how red neck you are. I would say that 10 or above would work, but whatever the age it should be before the child is inclined to misuse it. the trouble with waiting until they are adults or late teens is that they will use it unsupervised and not be forced by parents or the law to take gun and hunter safety courses. This should be changed of course. A parents should not be allowed to simply give a firearm to their child whenever they see fit, and without required courses and additional permitting. IE: Dad legally buys a gun...when his son/daughter reaches the age of say 12, he decides to give the gun to the child. At this point, before this is done, the child should be required to take courses and obtain proper permits to own that firearm.

I'm not in favor of taking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens, but I do think that law abiding citizens should be forced by law to show proper responsibility when it comes to their own and their children's gun use and ownership. This story shows a lack of proper protocol and common sense when it comes to this matter.

Daydreamer
Part-time Poster
Part-time Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Mon May 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Agreed. OK

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Mon May 27, 2013 5:29 pm

I also agree. I don't see why guns can't be treated like cars: instruction, testing, and licensing are required. Register the gun so that if it's used in a crime or stolen, it can be traced. I know that really rankles the live free or die folks and it's only because of the damn 2nd Amendment that it gets all crazy. But common sense, people!

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen Perrine on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:10 pm

This is sickening ignorance! Those parents sure as killed that little girl.

I'll bet these same folks are opposed to abortion. They call it the fishing philosophy. Throw them back when they're small and wait till kids grow up a little to kill them off. Scared
Doreen Perrine
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

http://doreenperrine.tripod.com/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top