Reviews - Honest or Not?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reviews - Honest or Not?

Post by Deej on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:20 pm

As a newbie author I looked forward to reviews. Yes, I'll admit I wanted everyone to love my book, but I also wanted honest feedback, issues pointed out that I could correct in future books, flaws in my writing that I might possibly be able to improve upon.

I'm read every review I could get my hands on, and again, it was nice when kind words were used, but the ones I absolutely loved the were ones that pointed out issues, two reviews by the same person mentioned the poor editing of the books, another mentioned that I didn't develop the character as well in my first book and I did in the second and was glad I had improved. Another still found I don't take enough time to bring the romances along, that they just happen???

There were some comments I didn't agree with in other reviews, but now that I'm reworking those books, I can see their opinion, I still don't agree, but that's what makes it interesting and a learning experience.

I wish every review told me what worked and what didn't, then I can learn from it, at least I hope I can. What about you? How do you handle reviews? Do you write them for others???

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Reviews - Honest or Not?

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:38 pm

I feel really awkward writing reviews. blush The closest I get to writing "reviews" is the short opinions I give on the books I've read for the 50-book challenge. I don't know, I would feel betrayed if a fellow writer gave my book a low rating all in the name of "honesty." I'd rather have the feedback BEFORE the book got out there.
BassGuitarGirl
Getting the Hang of Things
Getting the Hang of Things

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Reviews - Honest or Not?

Post by ElaineB on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:51 pm

I've probably been a little too frank in reviews. Payback might be my due. It's tricky for writers to review other writers (maybe they should stick to critiquing before publication). There's so much risk of sour grapes or a perception of pandering. I don't have a book out yet, so I'm sure if that day comes, my whole perception will change.

I had decided that on amazon, where reviews count toward recommendations and listings, that I wouldn't post a review less than four stars. Not that I wouldn't be honest, but that I wouldn't review books that didn't deserve that many. I'm not out to hurt an author's sales. I want readers to see a fair representation of opinions. I have posted reviews on Goodreads, and now that amazon bought them, I'm not sure what I'll do.

That said, I do feel it's important for reviews to be honest. They are one person's opinion and I've loved books others have hated and vice versa. But it's through a diversity of opinions that a reader can get a sense of whether they will like something or not. If you only see glowing reviews, you soon feel betrayed when a book has serious flaws. I don't think I've ever seen a book get nothing but bad reviews.
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top