Did You Always Want To Write?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Did You Always Want To Write?

Post by Deej on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:42 pm

I read so many author bios where they all say they've been writing since childhood. That they've always had stories to be told, etc, etc, etc.

For me, I never even thought of it until 2005. I had just discovered Lesfic. It was at it's infancy and the few books available made me want to contribute stories as well. Please don't take that to mean I thought I could do better, far from it, I just thought I could tell a story about two women, simple as that.

Deej
Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Did You Always Want To Write?

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:28 pm

And you tell wonderful (and wonderfully written) stories, Deej! Cheering I can't wait to read the final draft of the two books you sent me. Maybe they'll be on my summer reading list! Cool

BassGuitarGirl
Getting the Hang of Things

http://www.BLClanton.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:38 pm

To answer the question: No, in the past I had only written when school assignments required me to. I was (and still am) a prolific reader, and that was the extent of it...Then this little story starting writing itself in my head. I ignored it for a while, but it kept getting more and more involved and complicated. I finally decided to try my hand at writing a novel!! LOL LOL LOL OMG! What a freakin' disaster. I cannot for the life of me find one of these horrible first drafts -- it would have been a hoot to read again. I finished the whole thing, too! It was god-awful! Tumbsdown Thank goodness I knew it was awful, though, and didn't try to submit to a publisher! I then ordered some books on writing and things have gotten soooooooooo much better. Of course, there is always room for improvement, and I am ever in search of that! Anyway, the book ended up becoming my first novel "Out of Left Field: Marlee's Story" published in 2008. I have to thank Andi Marquette for taking me under her wing and giving me lots of free advice. She's awesome! And now I have 8 novels to my writing credit with a ninth one on it's way!

BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:49 pm

Cool, BGG! (I have one of those tucked away in a drawer.)

I was always pretty good at writing (atrocious at spelling), but never considered it as a career. In fact, if I'd gone purely by grades, I'd have majored in English in college, but instead my inner masochist chose biology with a minor in chemistry.

I did always daydream, however, and finally decided to write them down. Fan fiction inspired me. Voyager, not Xena. And NOT J/7.

ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:04 pm

ElaineB wrote:Fan fiction inspired me. Voyager, not Xena. And NOT J/7.
J/7?

BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:05 am

Janeway/Seven of Nine. It had never in a million years occurred to me to link them romantically.

ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:45 am

I know 7 of 9's character was brought to the show to entice a certain demographic into watching the show, but I never saw the attraction. The whole Borg thing was cool and scary, but Janeway was my woman! Strong, decisive, take-no-shit from anyone! She rocked that bun of steel!

BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:49 am

Amen. Though I hated that bun. I preferred Season 4 when she cut her hair shorter.

ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Post by BassGuitarGirl on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:38 am

Wifey and I have a saying: WWJD? What would JANEWAY do? LOL

BassGuitarGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:43 pm

OK

ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:41 am

Interesting to hear from a writer why and how they started. Thanks for letting us know, ladies. OK

Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny Frame on Fri May 03, 2013 5:45 am

I had never written until around three years ago. I had to give up work due to a back injury and was looking for something to keep me busy. At the time I was reading a lot of xena uber fanfiction which then led me onto reading Published romance fiction. I thought I had some good ideas and decided to have a go at writing for posting online. I have written everyday since. It's like I have some sort of bug, where I get cranky if I don't get to write on a particular day. :-)
I've learnt an awful lot since my first story, but still have a lot to learn, and I hope I can pick up some tips here. Very Happy

Jenny Frame
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Fri May 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Well I too have a lot to learn but the good news is all the ladies are willing to share info, that helps a lot. OK

Deej
Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen Perrine on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:32 am

Same here on learning a lot! I just turned fifty-two and am still a work-in-progress. wink

I've always written, a lot of journals with a smattering of good, but mostly sappy poems. Reading came first and foremost and I have always loved (if not inhaled) books from a tender age.

I came to write more seriously when I came out at thirty-eight. I have been a painter all my life and an art teacher for twenty-three years. But this time, I had something to say that I couldn't speak in the language of paint about life and love as a lesbian.

Doreen Perrine
Unsullied Newbie
Unsullied Newbie

http://doreenperrine.tripod.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Cool!

ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top