Boston Marathon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Boston Marathon

Post by Deej on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Well Fuck! You can't even go run a marathon with out getting blown up.

BOSTON — Two explosions shattered the finish of the Boston Marathon on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry away the injured while stragglers in the 26.2-mile race were rerouted away from the smoking site.

Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.

"There are a lot of people down," said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/15/boston-marathon-explosion_n_3086665.html

Admin
Admin

http://www.dejaynovl.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston Marathon

Post by Athena on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:20 pm

OMG. That is terrible. Those poor people.
Athena
Getting the Hang of Things

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:47 pm

An 8 year old boy is among the dead, Im sure there s a reason??? FFS

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Has anyone claimed the responsibility for this actions? This is so horrific.
Lilien

http://lilienhoffman.wix.com/graphicdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:48 pm

No word yet on who's responsible. Horrific.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:35 pm

It is really crazy in Boston. CNN is having a live broadcasts all day about the situation in Boston. I am not sure how to take the news that he is a Muslim from Ex-Soviet country. Media is making different kind of approach in every newspapers. Currently CNN is trying to figure out the aspect of him being radicalized by his brother, trying to talk to some people who knew him, asking about what do they think if he was Americanized, if he felt comfortable in his surroundings. Dzhokar was attention a school where people with all kind of background was attention. People are mostly surprised by his actions, they claim that he was a nice peaceful boy, good student, he was active in sport and apparently had a large group of friends. The media is not mentioning his brother very much, he was killed yesterday night.

My opinion, how I see the things: He came to USA when he was 8 years old, I think the American country who is quite heterogeneous, could not produce such a big influence or pressure on him, even tough tension is bigger since 9/11, that he could feel threatened by living in USA, by USA culture, without that feeling being inserted in him before, which in my opinion was almost not imaginable given that he was very young when he came. From the pictures they are broadcasting on CNN, he seamed like a typical young American boy (or if I may say western boy). In my opinion, if this was, and I repeat IF this was a act of any religious background, it could have came from his older brother who was much older and came much later to USA, with, in my opinion, already formed figure, formed character and believes. But this is only my opinion. By all that they are saying on TV, it doesn't seam that they were belonging to any terrorist group. It could have been a isolated act of two individuals. Nerveless, this is a terroristic act. There is no justification for what these two man/boys did. I can not imagine what kind of rage and radical ideas are going trough 18 year old head to commit such a crime. I hope they will catch him very soon and that he will pay for his acts. I feel sorry for people in Boston right now, personally of all the USA, Boston is the only town I would have loved to see, I feel really sorry for all the people living in fear while police and FBI are looking for him. Some areas are under complete lock down with streets filled with police, I hope they can soon continue living freely.
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Sadly most of the news is wrong. Im not going to believe these two men are part of any organized group until we lnow for sure. Right now the commentators are saying anything and everuthing just to fill the air time. Its all bull shit. Ijust hope they find him soon and that ghe people of Massachusetts can get back to their lives.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Yes, I completely agree with you. Media is making statements that are based on only suspicions and not correct details. And with these media announcement we are drawing our own conclusions.

The biggest problem right now is that a boy may carry a bomb device (bomb west) which can hurt more people in case of him trying to active it. This is of course again only media speculation, drawn from the fact that his brother head one. But it must be terrifying in this moment being in Boston.
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:04 pm

It seams that he is located and cornered in one house in Watertown. If this really is him, I hope all goes well, without more casualties. I hope this can really come to the end.
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:53 pm

According to Boston Police, suspect is in custody. Things wont be the same in Boston for a while. But at least people can brethe easier, now that this man is cought.
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:24 pm

Yup its over for now. At least no one elze got hurt, enough are dead or maimed.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:15 am

Good thing they found them so fast.
My thoughts go out to all the victims and their family.
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:32 am

It was an interesting day here, to say the least. I couldn't go to work because they closed down, even though we're not in one of the locked-down towns, but I suppose so many employees wouldn't be able to travel that it wasn't worth it. I don't live near Watertown, but worked there for many years and recognized many of the landmarks shown on TV (I've eaten at the Town Diner and used to shop at the Arsenal Mall where the police command center was set up. Got my new license plate at the RMV in the Watertown Mall across the street.). I am so thankful that it ended peacefully, with no more injuries or loss of life. Watching the residents cheer the police as they left was heartwarming. They did their best. Though I hope someone can figure out why they didn't find this kid all day long when he was only a half-mile from where it all started with the shootout the night before. Once they lifted the "shelter in place" order, a guy went out to his back yard for a smoke, noticed the strap on his boat was cut and there was blood. He looked inside (crazy!) and saw the kid. He then called police and they all turned around and headed back. So much for a house-to-house search.

The media, on the other hand, were complete assholes. On Facebook, some law enforcement folks were complaining how dangerous it is when reporters give away police positions. As the end game was beginning, a reporter was running down the street, calling out street names and directions the police were heading to. Meanwhile back at the studio, the anchor was looking at a map and telling him where he was. If the kid had had a smart phone, he would have known they were coming.

As for the Chechen background/motive, all that speculation is ridiculous. What did amaze me were there reports from people who knew him and thought so highly of him. How does a person change so radically? How well can we ever know someone else? As a lesbian who grew up with a culture of the closet, I can imagine keeping secrets. But wow. And the sheer cold-bloodedness of the bombing itself.

Anyway, I'm glad it's over. My heart goes out to the victims and my thanks go to those who caught him.
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Deej on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:54 am

I'm with you E. The reporters need to be stopped. It was asinine the way they keep pushing with wrong reports, bad information and trying to get to the kid before the cops. I'm appalled by them all. One expert mentioned in the morning that the worse thing was for the Uncle to be yelling at the last terrorist, that is could set him off. Did the stations stop carrying the story, NO!

I have to say I have nothing but admiration and a sense of pride for the people of Massachusetts and all the police involved in this episode. The people for staying inside when told too. I'm not sure there's another big city in the US that would have complied. And the police were so determined and acted so professionally, never once losing sight of their goal. Well done to all of them, all agencies, etc. Massachusetts should be proud.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Athena on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:52 am

ElaineB wrote:The media, on the other hand, were complete assholes. On Facebook, some law enforcement folks were complaining how dangerous it is when reporters give away police positions. As the end game was beginning, a reporter was running down the street, calling out street names and directions the police were heading to. Meanwhile back at the studio, the anchor was looking at a map and telling him where he was. If the kid had had a smart phone, he would have known they were coming.
Glad you hear you have been in no danger, E. It sounds like those reporters just thought about the story and didn't care about anything else including people's life. I wonder why the police let them stay there at the first place. dash
Athena

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilien on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:13 pm

The whole action was amazing. The have so many police officers and agents pulls such a big and organized manhunt, was fascinating.

When it comes to media, I must say that I was watching CNN and while I had problems with some comments from certain commentators/news reporters (cnn reporters), CNN mostly did a good job. Some of the informations that were out there, regarding to the position and locations were dangerous to pass out and in such a critical moment stupid. But some media also had in mind that a lot of people are watching TV and are in complete dark of what is happening and how their loved ones, friends or family in Boston are, so they thought that passing informations about how the action is going was good idea.

Now, you must understand that part of me is talking from personal experience, even tough my job was extreme miniature comparing to such a big media house.

My biggest problem with some TV houses was the way they were handling their suspicions or discussions. The program almost on every TV station was LIVE and the reporters were not censured and some of them were so stupid with their accusations or presumptions. Some of the reporters on CNN had a healthy discussion about what could trigger this actions, trying to bring all the aspects and try to look in from ALL the sides, without highlighting their own opinions. But again, discussion something which they have NO clear evidence about it again from one side stupid. Bottom line is that this is their job and as long as people are watching their show, they will make profit, and they will keep their jobs. There is also one thing I hate about media and it's that almost every media is politically oriented and you can see trough news and how they are broadcasted to which party they belong.

I am glad the whole horror is over and that people can go back to normal lives. I feel very sorry for the families that lost their loved ones in Boston Bombing. I am sure for them it will never be the same.
Lilien

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineB on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:06 pm

I will say this, I don't want to live in a society where the only information in a crisis comes from law enforcement or the government. A free press is vital to a free society and I'll accept some assholes to get that. wink
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top