Publishing in General

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Publishing in General

Post by ElaineB on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:11 am

Before you get to go to the Traditional or Indie threads, you need to decide how you want to be published.

Well, here's the Cosmo Quiz for Writers...

Which Publishing Option Is Right For You?

In the old days, there were two ways to publish: with traditional houses, the optimal choice, or their ugly step-sister, vanity presses. Today, in addition to large and small traditional houses, there are various self-publishing options, including DIY platforms, self-publishing partnerships, also called assisted self-publishing, and, for self-publishers who want the publishing house experience, hybrid subsidy presses.

Today, authors have choices that were unimaginable just a few years ago. Rather than invest all their energy in publishing traditionally, authors are taking advantage of their options by choosing the publishing method that’s right for them or right for the particular project. With so many choices, how do you know which is right for you?

This questionnaire will help you evaluate your options based on your personality and needs.

If you take the quiz, let us know how you do.
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

Re: Publishing in General

Post by ElaineB on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:29 am

OK, this is harder than it looks. #8 was tough, I wasn't sure what it meant. I came out solidly B/C (hmm, much like my academic life!).

B) You’re a good candidate for assisted self-publishing.
C) If you don’t publish traditionally, a hybrid subsidy press may be right for you.

Though I wouldn't be willing to pay to be published, which is what C is.

I think I'm really a D, but some of the questions are skewed to mainstream publishing--I may want to be published by a publisher, but I don't really dream of a Big Six (well, I can dream, but that's about all). And I certainly don't expect an advance from a small or lesfic publisher, never mind one that would allow me to write full time.
ElaineB

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top